Martyn

Help Me Id This Plough Gauge?

Hey guys, I picked up a job lot box of leather tools from an estate sale. The description said there was a strap cutter in there, but there is no makers mark on it. It looks a bit vintage and there appears to be a serial number with as date of 1968 on it. There also appears to be a British Ministry of Defence 'broad arrow' stamp. The broad arrow gets (or used to get) stamped onto everything MoD and I'm wondering if this was maybe an unbranded tool that was made for some MoD saddlers attached to a cavalry regiment or something? Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can pin an ID on it. I've dabbled in a bit of leatherwork as a hobby, but I'm reluctant to have a guess because I'm a total novis when it comes to these old tools and dont really know what I'm looking at, for all I know it could be a hammer. :D

ploughguage001_zpsjaguwocm.jpg

ploughguage002_zpsz1wqo05l.jpg

ploughguage003_zpso4jhpq1u.jpg

Thanks,

Martyn.

Looks like a Joseph Dixon.

Scroll down to pg 18.

http://www.boothandco.com/catalogue.pdf

Edited by thefanninator

Cool. :)

Dont suppose you know if they normally have a makers mark on em somewhere?

I suppose I'd better have a go at making a belt then. :D

I was right, the British Army does have it's own saddlery. See: https://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/role/195/saddler

I bet this is an unbranded Joseph Dixon cutter, commissioned by the Ministry of Defence for the household guard saddlery.

I got a good deal, I got the whole box full of stuff including 2 Geo.Barnsley & sons branded pricking irons for £50 quid.

Edited by Martyn

Normally this version would have a maker mark on the shoe (sloping tip that sticks out in front of the blade). Most but not all I have had also have a mark on the brass piece that binds the beam when the lever is tightened. Some had just the dot like yours. I think you are right - unmarked Dixon (and a good one!)

Thanks Bruce. I've just double checked, there is nothing on the shoe part and just the dot you mentioned on the brass shim. The only identifying mark on the whole thing is the Ministry of Defence broad arrow serial number. You see the same thing on the old Vapalux army paraffin/kerosene lanterns. They are never branded 'Vapalux', all you see on em is a broad arrow number, but they are all 100% genuine Vapalux. The only other markings on the cutter are on the beam, it's marked to 5 inches.

Do you have any tips for sharpening the knife part?

Thanks,

Martyn.

Edited by Martyn