Spaceblues

Can You Help Me With A List?

I have a birthday in a few weeks and my mother in law is asking for some ideas for my gift. She lives a few blocks from a Tandy and thought I'd see if I could give her a few items to expand my newfound hobby.

I'm interested in Sheridan and figure carving. I have the deluxe beginner's kit, various dyes and finishes, wing divider, groove cutter, 802 and 803 bevelers, a mule foot, brown and white thread, stitching chisel set, 1 edge beveler, a little 4/5 oz veg tan, and a whole bunch of 2/3 that I bought to get some liner out of it for a dog collar. I also have a BK swivel knife on order.

I've seen a bunch of tools in figure carving videos that I'm not sure what they are. Can the more experienced here recommend some things that would be helpful in the future for Sheridan and figure carving?

Or she can buy you some nice tooling leather. They have a good sale on right now.

I've seen a bunch of tools in figure carving videos that I'm not sure what they are. Can the more experienced here recommend some things that would be helpful in the future for Sheridan and figure carving

see if tandy has classes, this would be where you want to first spend money, then buy leather and practice,practice,practice,practice,

get new tools as you need them for your projects.

Thanks. Tandy is about an hour away so I plan to make it to classes as my schedule allows. Was just wondering about things I could put on a list for her at this point. Right now I don't know what I don't know if that makes sense.

I would buy "books" first. Basics of leather carving, stitching and finishing. Invaluable resources and a long term investment.

(seems/ sounds a little old fashioned I guess- I use many I have had for years for reference- just my opinion- FWIW)

I go along with books. Did your kit come with modeling tools? They are a must have. Simple but invaluable. At some point you will want something other than a poly mallet, but there may be better places to purchase one. It will do for now.

I've added a bunch of books to my list... lots of Stohlman. Also Bill Gardner, Bob Park.

Modeling tools! Those are what I've been seeing in videos that I didn't know what they are. Those are now on the list!

How about THIS instead?