bob21804

Tell Me About This Skiver

I'm pretty new to leatherwork, and recently bought a chest full of tools at a 2nd hand shop, including this (what I'm assuming is a) Skiver. Can anybody tell me anything about it? It has a patent # and some other text inside the hinged door where the blade goes, but I need a bigger magnifier to read it. Also on the handle it says FIRM Blade (with FIRM in all caps and "blade" in script). Also, I'm specifically wondering where to get blades for it. As you might be able to see in the attached pic, I tried a blade from a safety skiver, but it was a bit too big and broke when I closed the hinged door. I appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanks,

Bob

post-69056-0-35992900-1457408080_thumb.j

Well, so far no responses, but I found the original (broken) blade that was in this skiver, and it also says "FIRM Blade", so I did a quick internet search using that term and found a few that had been listed in Worthpoint.com, unfortunately still not much info - not even any reference to leatherwork, so I'll keep looking. Again, if anybody has any info, let me know. Thanks! (I tried 3 times to post a link, but for some reason, it's not working for me)

Edited by bob21804

Go to eBay closed autions. Item number 272127202950 both sides of the instruction sheet are there too.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info and the link. I think I'll have a very hard time get ahold of any blades for this old skiver, but I'll keep my eye and ears open, just in case I get lucky some time. At least now I have some more info. If, by chance anybody has some of these blades to sell, or know where I can get a few, please let me know.

Bob

The blades (the one pictured has the end broken off) look like the standard injector razor blades. Should be at the drug store or food store. I'm pretty sure you can get them at Tandy or SLC.

Art

Art, thanks for the suggestion, but the broken blade in my picture is the one I tried to fit into the skiver. It broke because it doesn't fit. The one that fits into the skiver is a bit shorter and has notched ends. Hmm, I wonder if I'd have any luck cutting and shaping one of those blades with my Dremel. :Lighten:

Edited by bob21804

If you are going far enough to cut a razor blade with a dremel, why not just make a blade out of an old hacksaw blade? Not the bimetal ones, the high speed steel ones. May even be able to make a decent blade out of a piece of steel strapping.

I have the same skiver. I have had it for nearly 5 years now. It came with one blade, and on my first skive the darn thing snapped in two, I have searched all over and was never able to find another blade for it, so i just tossed it in a drawer with the other random tools I don't use. Actually until you posted yours, i forgot i had it.

If you find a blade or another blade that will work in it, please update.

Karina

post-32363-0-33117500-1457657285_thumb.p

TinkerTailor, thanks for the great suggestion. Sounds like a fun little project to play with. I have access to hacksaw blades, where I work, for cutting 600 series stainless steel - also all the used bandsaw blades I'd ever need. Anything is worth a try - nothing to lose.

I sure will, Karina. Happy to help if I can. BTW, "veedub"?? Are you into old VW's too? I have a 73 Beetle and a 71 Bus.

Bob

Edited by bob21804

I sure will, Karina. Happy to help if I can. BTW, "veedub"?? Are you into old VW's too? I have a 73 Beetle and a 71 Bus.

Bob

Yes I am a lover of all things VW. Veedub3 stands for the three VW's I had at the time, although I have owned more than 30 over the years. I actually have 4 now. A 71 SB Auto-stick I got for my 15th birthday, a 74 SB, a 1967 Type 2 bus, and I just picked up a 2001 T2c Water cooled Bus made in Brazil. I managed to get it to Mexico, then drove it home to Panama, but have yet to get clearance to bring it into the US. (Safety Standards - no airbags, no smog or emission controls, blah, blah, blah.....)

If I don't get it into the US, I can always run about the country in it when I go home.

Karina

Nice, I'd love to have a 67 bus. I have a friend who owns a 68. It hasn't been restored and has a goo amount of rust and faded paint, but I think it's beautiful.

Sorry for the off-topic post. :notworthy:

Just looks like an old safety razor blade to me. Try the grocery store or drug store.