meregeeks

Magnetic Closures For Wallets - Where To Buy/ How To Make

I have been looking for this answer but have not found anything so far.

I want to remake a wallet I purchased from Fossil. It has a magnetic closure for cash. Though the area sewn in is a rectangle on both the inside and outside it seems there are three small circular magnets embedded in some kind of magnetic shielded material. I have not cut my wallet open just yet to satiate my curiosity. The magnetic shielding is neat as I can get the pull of the magnet from the cash holding side but there is no magnetic field displaying on the outside. Which explains why this thing never attached to my keys or anything in my pocket.

Anyone know what this is, where to buy it, or how to make it?

Kindly,

mere

Image of my wallet: 2081305-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

you might find that it's not magnetic shielding so much as a rapidly decaying magnetic field.

I was working with neodynium magnets on a wood project aiming to connect wooden blocks through the use of magnets.

In order for my magnets to have sufficient traction between each other to connect two 100g blocks i needed to reduce the magnet-magnet distance to less than 5mm.

I was using some relatively strong magnets so i believe that usually in these magnetic locking systems on clothes\wallets\purses\boxes just use small magnets which need to be quite close to anything before they stick (bearing in mind magnets-magnet attraction will always be stronger than magnet-metal)

This website is quite good to give you an idea of the magnetic strengths of different magnets at different distances.

https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/AdhesiveForceCalculation