mirroredge

Cutting Belts

I have a side coming in destined for mostly belts. I don't want to be wasteful and cut strips along the entire side, last time I bought a culatta and those strips seemed just right to a tad long. These are going to made up to be sold, so I am trying to balance being able to have stock for larger belts while also minimizing waste. I am thinking about making for a 55 inch waist maximum, but wanted to know what you guys aim for. So how long do you guys cut your belt strips? Or what is the maximum waist size for your belts?

I use both sides and double shoulders for belts, . . . sides for the big guys, . . . double shoulders for the smaller ones.

There will always be scrap, . . . but since I use a strap cutter, . . . at least they are "uniform" scrap pieces, . . . and I wind up using them on various other projects as I keep em all in a bag.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'm with Dwight, I cut them as long as I can then trim off what isn't needed and it usually leaves me with enough for a wrist band or something else I need shorter pieces for. If I need them thinner, I run them through the splitter.

Like Dwight and Halitech, I cut them out with my strap cutter as long as I can. Any cut offs are saved for other uses. Most work great for the billets on ranger style belts...or ranger belt style dog collars...

I cut the shoulder section off of sides for belt leather, about 60" from the butt end.  This will give you belts about size 50, and then I use the shoulder (which is one piece) for cutting holsters (mostly).  This way the belt and the holster (or knife sheath, or whatever) will match in color AND texture.

On the odd chance that someone needs a belt larger than a "50", I'd just start another hide.  It's only happened twice in about 100 years (ish). :)

Oh, maybe I should add that I cut the belly off as well.. useless for belts, except perhaps to line them.  I generally order backs, which is sides with the belly already cut off, but since you said sides, I would cut off the belly.

Edited by JLSleather

"It's only happened twice in about 100 years........."

I had to laugh, . . . my "big" story is a guy wanted a cowboy gun belt and holster like John Wayne's.  We agreed on price and delivery.

He measured out at 53 inches, . . . and I always follow John Bianchi's advice of making it 4 inches longer, . . . which made a 57 inch belt.

I made it, . . . called him, . . . he came to pick it up.  It was 3 inches too short, . . . as he had gained 3 inches in the processing time.

Fortunately, . . . I was able to put a new tongue on it, . . . and it worked out.  Don't want any more of those..............

May God bless,

Dwight