x101airborne

Brass Cartridges Turning Green

Long story short....

Made a veg tan gunbelt with cartridge loops.

Used saddle soap to condition it.

Cartridges that sit in the belt more than a couple weeks are growing green stuff on em. It wipes off easy enough but tarnishes the brass and they aren't pretty anymore.

Any way to stop this? Or do I just need to shoot more to rotate out my cartridges?

Get some clean cartridges (bright and shiny) and spray them with clear lacquer. You can clean the ones you have with Brasso or something else, but clean them again with alcohol to get the Brasso off. Do not clean with WD-40 or any oil based solvent, it can deactivate the primers.

Art

Thank you Art. Will do!

Lacquer works if you just want to display them.
Other than that, though, I wouldn't keep brass in any of the leather because of the corrosion it (the leather) causes.
I only fill my loop-strips when I am on the range, ready to shoot the stages (Cowboy Action Shooting), any other time I leave the leather empty. To me, it just seems too much work. Clean the brass, lacquer the brass, coat the loops with Product X, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.

Don't store brass cartridges in leather. Nickle plated cases fare a little better.

I have hundreds of brass casings . Fired and not. Never had tarnish issues. It could be chemicals in leather, leather drawing moisture etc. I wouldnt want to fire rounds that have had corrosion on them and cleaned multiple times. Remove them from belt at end of day.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I usually leave this revolver and rig at the ranch for use out there and carry it a lot more than shoot it. It usually doesn't get wet and is stored inside with the other firearms. I like to go into the dense brush after Agarita berries in the summer and this is my favorite wild hog medicine. Ruger Blackhawk stainless in 45 Colt 7 1/2 inch barrel. RCBS 45-270-SAA loaded to 1100 fps (Ruger only level II). Cast fairly soft (half lead, half wheel weights, air cooled) they are deadly and I have yet to recover a bullet from any size hog. I have probably taken around 50 of them with this load.

I will clean the cartridges that are tarnished and use them this weekend, then the brass will be put in the tumbler for reloading. I will leave the belt empty during storage.

I always coat my cartridge loops, . . . inside and out, . . . with resolene. It should take care of your problem. I've got nickle ones in my saddle rig that I know have been in there for 3 years, . . . maybe 4, maybe 5, . . . no tarnish.

May God bless,

Dwight

I don't know if it's gospel or not but years ago I was told no ammonia based cleaners on brass cases. Ammonia will supposedly weaken the brass, I've never been willing to test it to see if it's an urban legend or not. Clean the green off and shoot them, the tarnish will not hurt the brass. Once fired run them through a tumbler before reloading and you should have no issues.. Dwight's suggestion of coating the inside of the loops is sound and makes the most sense to me.

Stu