Has taken me 8 hours of hand stitching (saddle stitch) to get as far as I am currently. Still have to put a gusset on the front pocket then put it all together..I do all my stitching by hand so it does take a while to get a bag like this together. Found the plans for it online and really liked the look so figured what the hell will give it a go. Only thing I still have yet to do is cut the shoulder straps...I so hate cutting straps!!! Will post more as I get the bag put together.

post-54720-0-99808400-1457637490_thumb.j

post-54720-0-45589400-1457637557_thumb.j

Only took me 4 hours to do this one little front pocket..but at least the front is fully done now..NO clue why it took me that long for some reason this was a real bastard of a gusset to put on!!! Now all i have to do is get the whole bag put togethere!!! But that is a job for tommorow!!

post-54720-0-08798100-1457677334_thumb.j

I like the look of the asymmetrical flap, very interesting. Good luck!

Computer is being a pain ugg, anyways after 16 hours of hand stitching front is done and attached to the side and back gusset really like this rounded look.

post-54720-0-86756600-1457789021_thumb.j

That looks really nice. My hand hurts just thinking of how long it took you to do the stitching.

Thanks Pat i still have another 8 hours or so to go of hand stitching to put it all togethere, but i am taking the day off lol my fingers are litterally burnt from pulling on the thread they need a break!

Thanks Pat i still have another 8 hours or so to go of hand stitching to put it all togethere, but i am taking the day off lol my fingers are litterally burnt from pulling on the thread they need a break!

When I hand stitch I wear an old pair of mountain biking gloves that I cut the thumb and first two fingers off. That way I have a leather palm I can push the needle with and I also have glove covering my ring and pinkie finger for the pulling. Saves me a lot of time and wear and tear.

Will have to give that a try venator sure would save the hands

Ok almost done, here is how the bag will look (or close to it) when its totaly finsihed have half the bottom and one side left to stitch. I will have roughly 28 hours of hand stitching total for this one bag! I think I am going to set the price at 300 debating about 400..not totaly sure yet

post-54720-0-86979400-1457978908_thumb.j

post-54720-0-05618700-1457978918_thumb.j

Seems your stitching is taking a long time. How are you making your holes? You need to be able to make a profit and I don't see how if you can't speed up the process. Even at $400.00, you can't cover your hours. Then there are the materials. Not being critical, just helpful, hopefully.

holes are already pre punched with a pricking iron, doing a saddle stitch just takes time is all, especially with all the stitching that has been done on the bag. Added up the time (not including what is left to do) and it will be 28 hours flat, next bag i may be able to cut the time down a little bit as this is the first bag of this design i have done. Wasn't to sure about how i had the holes set up but they are dead on so I am happy about that!

Oh also forgot to mention on the gusset there is no fold, no 90 degree square or even something that resembles a bent edge, so no glue is really able to be used so stiching one hole at a time and forcing the leather to bend all the way around. It is an interesting way to sew to say the least! But I kind of like this look a little more then I do with the straight look. Also there are 7 stitches per inch if anyone is interested in that. and that goes for every stitch on the bag from attactching the back flap to every last stitch

Edited by Windrider30

26 hours total of hand stitching is DONE!!! just have to do the straps and that is the easiest part! Pics are of front, side and bottom

post-54720-0-99394500-1458005949_thumb.j

post-54720-0-51059300-1458005961_thumb.j

post-54720-0-71818700-1458006000_thumb.j

Finally after 26 hours of hand stitching, 2 days of cutting, dyeing, slicking and a lot of swearing this messenger bag is FINISHED! added an adjustable shoulder strap.

Measurements

H 10 3/4 inchs

W: 12 1/4 inches

Depth 4 inches

7 SPI

back pocket is 9 1/4 inches wide 6 1/4 inches high (its a flat pocket so that is pretty much the depth as well

front pocket:

H: 5 1/2 inches

W 5 17/16 inches

Depth max 1 1/2 inches

good place to store a cell phone in the back, or the front as well as a few other odds and ends such as sunglasses in the front pocket or car keys.

post-54720-0-28796200-1458089330_thumb.j

I like the beefieness of the bag. For some reason it gives me a "steampunk" vibe. The only flaws I noticed were the color variation between the front pocket flap and the rest of the bag and the streakiness of the dye application. This is a problem I have also.

I have started thinning the dye so I can add more coats without going super dark and paying attention to my surface prep. I'm not there yet but getting better.

drnorwood thanks and hmm steampunk vibe might be a good route to go next time. The color variation is actually something that I was going for just away to make certain things stand out but once in a while that can actually be a real pain in the ass to get the look i want with the gel antiques that i use (tandy's eco flo) as well as with the streakiness i do not like a simple flat looking bag. I was thinking about going for a distressed look like with what i did with my wallet (must get pictures of it) basicly dyed it, let the dye dry then hit the wallet with sand paper, redyed, let it dry, hit again with the sand paper until i found a look i liked, took 8 coats on the wallet to get the look i was going for. But I do agree if you do not want a streaked look it can be a pain in the ass with the gells.