Newbee

How To Apply Clear-Lac And Acrylic Resolene

Can someone explain how to apply Clear-Lac and Acrylic Relolene? I am working on a Bible Cover. I painted the flowers with Tandy's Cova Color and Highlighter Stain. The cross & Cover background started out with beige stain, but was too orange for me. I made the mistake of finishing the edges of the cross with gum tragacanth stuff before staining, so anyway this is what I came up with and am pleased with it. I would like to have a very good seal on it, but I am afraid of running the colors together. I think one more mistake may be one too many...lol I have sprayed a light coat of Fiebings Leather Sheen on it. Would I be better off to use Acrylic Resolene or Clear-Lac? Should I just brush it on? Will it cause the colors to mix together? Will it darken the flowers?

post-15395-0-55283900-1457651149_thumb.j

There are people more knowledgeable than I but I personally would not use clear lac on anything that would be subject to repeat bending back and forth. I have RUINED projects and had others ruin some that I had used clear lac on when it was bent repeatedly.

We are going to hope that that book is going to be opened and closed often! :)

If you are concerned about preserving the colors and not having them rub off so are looking for a protective finish the super sheen will work just fine. Again I wouldnt over do that either and were it mine I might carefully paint supersheen on my design pieces one coat then give a light overall spray and call it a day.

I have never used cova color ... I like the cheap acrylics I get at the hobby store so I dont know about running but to date I have never had a problem with acrylics running or rubbing using resolene or supersheen. Having said that ... go paint up a scrap and let it dry well and test before you put a brush to all your efforts. I find the supersheen to be more durable than resolene. I use mostly resolene because I prefer a matte finish but if its protection or resisting I reach for the supersheen.

Edited by Boriqua

Thank you so much! Everything you said makes sense, especially the part about the bending. I will add, I mostly use the cheaper acrylic paints, but I do have a set of Tandy's Cova Colors and the Cova Color Highlight Colors and I do love them. They paint on so smooth. You can really tell the difference immediately, but for the price, and me being very amateur, I mostly use the cheaper acrylics. This is a lot of fun, and I have learned a lot from this site!

I like that the hobby lobby acrylics can be had in a bazzilion shades so I dont have to spend a lot of time mixing colors. I have to look up the brand but my wife painted some fist sized rocks to look like little lady bugs and put them out front a year ago and even in the tough Arizona climate which is super dry and the sun melts pavement and when it rains it decides to do it all at once those rocks not only haven't run but they dont even look faded! I figure if they can hold up to that they can handle whatever leather thing I am painting.

Being able to find them usually at about a buck a bottle is a bonus!

Good luck with your continued success.

Wow!.. I knew the acrylic paint was tough, but not to that extent. Did she put a sealer on them? I do use the cheaper acrylics a lot. I am going to take your advice and use the Leather Sheen. Thanks for answering so quick. The Bible I am covering is for my Granddaughter's Sunday School Teacher, so it will get opened and shut every day, I have no doubt. I am going to make one for mysel next!

The artistic design of the Dodwood blooms and leaves,

with the cross of inspirational words is very soothing. Congratulations !

I most often use a 50/50 mixture of Water/Resoline !

Also, On occasion I use Saddle Lac , but Supersheen is a good product too ! ------- Wild Bill46

Thank you! I used a Cuttle Bug machine to emboss the cross, (using a Darice Embossing Folder) I mixed leather shavings and glue, and filled in the back side, hopefully it will help maintain the embossed impression over time. Here is a picture of a bag I made for my cousin. I used the cheaper metallic acrylic paint. The colors are much more vibrant than this picture is showing. I am going to have to experiment with the Resolene, and figure how and when I want to use it. I love all the input I get from this site!

post-15395-0-80848300-1457797289_thumb.j