404notfound

Coated Metal Giving Her A Rash.

I made my wife a choker using supplies I got from Tandy's, and found out wherever the metal touched her skin, it caused a rash.

So I've gone out and found stainless buckles, got a stainless o ring from Tandy's, and now all I need are rivets. After extensive googling I haven't been able to find anything. Can anyone give me a little direction?

Use pure brass rivets, or is sewing the joint an option?

Are the rivets for decoration? If so, only rivet through the outer layer and then line and stitch the whole thing.

Posting a pic of the choker would help with solutions.

If I knew how to sew it might be an option, but sadly my talent doesn't extend that far. Is it possible to find only brass caps somewhere? Or can I find the gem rivets with brass backs? Pardon the questions if their stupid, I'm replying while I pump gas and haven't had a chance to Google it. Going to try to upload a pic shortly.

Not stupid at all. Hopefully someone knows of a hypoallergenic rivet. I've never seen stainless rivets for leather, but they may be out there.

I've attached the pic of the offending choker. I'd really like to keep the gems. I'm googling for brass gem rivets, but if anyone knows of any I'd be much obliged. Or if anyone knows a good beer. That might even be better.

post-70882-0-89136600-1457841261_thumb.j

Urban Chestnut Zwickel. A lager-style beer brewed by a craft brewer in St. Louis. Had a couple Friday night, yummy.

Keep the rivets. but only through the first layer of leather.

Run the turned over piece over the back of the rivet and secure it using lace. You can use black lace to blend in or use a contrasting colour(red?) to add an extra accent.

Get rid of the rivet holding the buckle in place and secure using lace as well.

Cheers!

I know some people use clear nail varnish on items they  are allergic to.apparently  it works but dont quote me !

Coat the back of the rivet with clear nail polish where it would touch the skin. It's a trick women use a lot with costume jewelry. It creates a barrier between the metal and the skin so there's no direct contact.

Coat the back of the rivet with clear nail polish where it would touch the skin. It's a trick women use a lot with costume jewelry. It creates a barrier between the metal and the skin so there's no direct contact.

You might find that it is a nickel allergy from the nickel plating used on the hardware. My daughter and her mother have something similar and need to make sure they get stainless steel/silver/gold earrings etc.

Hope that helps.

On 8/8/2016 at 4:46 AM, Solifidian said:

You might find that it is a nickel allergy from the nickel plating used on the hardware . . .

Undoubtedly it is and more people are prone to it than they know.  A barrier of nail varnish will only work until it's eroded and never rule out that perspiration may leach the nickel contaminant out from within the leather itself?

It is possible to find much larger stainless steel eyelets, etc. within fittings for maritime use but, on a smaller scale, I don't think you'll find them.  The base metal is much more brittle than the mild steel beneath the electro-plating for the norm, tends to prevent the metal from "flowing" as it's condensed.

One option, though a more expensive one, is solid copper rivets often refered to as "copper hose rivets" or "conveyor belt rivets".  Guaranteed to give a very hand-made finish?

Note: I don't work for, nor know anything about this company BUT...I found what another forum member was after at Hanson Rivet. They have some stainless steel rivet options available and I might add for those searching for bits and bobs, think about other industries that use similar related items, you might very well be surprised.  Oft many trades/hobbies cross lines with other styles and something that wouldn't be listed under "leather, leather crafting, et cetera" can be found elsewhere.

http://www.hansonrivet.com/

A simple (I suppose) solution which I've picked up over the years from buying cheap costume jewellery made from even cheaper metal, is using clear nail varnish over the exposed shinny parts. Relatively cheap, chances are you may have some of the wife's laying about the house which she won't mind you using, and it comes with its own applicator brush for close-up detailing ;)