I came across this Consew 18 a few weeks ago in my storage area at work. I haven't seen it before as it has no table. (In my defense, I have 300 machines in storage) I brought it into the shop and I'm hoping next week to start going through it. I find the hole in the bed fascinating. I wish I knew the story behind it. I dropped a Singer 211 head 4' off a loading dock and the bed broke in half. Anyway, here's a few pictures, more to follow time permitting.

Regards,Eric

post-33297-0-11789200-1457835127_thumb.j

post-33297-0-81867700-1457835151_thumb.j

post-33297-0-85201100-1457835181_thumb.j

I would really like to spend a day with you on the job....I'm sure what I could learn would be very helpful, both in mechanics and about different machine types. It would appear your job never gets stale.

Never a dull moment, and I'm in teaching mode a lot with my apprentice. I wrote a curriculum for new mechanics. If you survive a week of theory lecture, I let you touch the machines. There's an open invitation for anyone who gets out this way to stop in for a visit.

Regards, Eric

Sounds like a visit there could be as fascinating as the firearms museum in Cody!

I smiled when I saw Seiko on the shaft in the second photo.

Sounds like a visit there could be as fascinating as the firearms museum in Cody!

I smiled when I saw Seiko on the shaft in the second photo.

I was a bit surprised myself. My mom has a near mint Morse home machine from the 50's. It's all metal, and on the casting is stamped Toyota!

Regards,Eric

Badge engineering started about 3 days after production of sewing machines started Eric!!!

Your Consew 18 is a Seiko 18 which was previously badged a Singer 18U188 until Singer went belly up.

Those Morse - and hundreds of other brands - of domestic machines from the 50's and 60's were built in Japan and are some of the best domestic machines ever built.

I wrote a curriculum for new mechanics.

Hi,

you couldn't be talked into putting that tutorial online, could you? I always love to learn from the pros.

Greets

Ralf C.

Hi,

you couldn't be talked into putting that tutorial online, could you? I always love to learn from the pros.

Greets

Ralf C.

I would if it could stand on it's own, but I wrote it to coincide with my lecture and dry erase board. Looking back, I should have recorded it the last time I presented it, (last summer for our Seattle factory). It is so much easier to present the theory away from any machine, so I could actually do it at home. I used to do it with a machine, but it was kind of like the elephant in the room.

Regards, Eric

Downloaded the parts and instruction manual from Consew this morning. So far it looks like the only parts I'll be needing are different presser feet once I decide what I'm going to use this for.

Regards, Eric

Ya think that hole was punched to make sure the drip pan could be adequately oiled? :nono:

Ya think that hole was punched to make sure the drip pan could be adequately oiled? :nono:

What's weird about this hole is as close as the lower shaft is below the bed, there's not a scratch or anything underneath. So I'm thinking Professor Plum in the study with the lead pipe. Anyone?

post-33297-0-64736200-1458006573_thumb.j

I have seen many casting flaws over the years. I think this one slipped by the factory. They may have filled it but the patch fell out later. Repairing defects in casting is common in foundries. Really will not hurt the operation of the machine. I have Consew 28 It does not have a feed dog just a slot for the needle and inside foot to feed works well and does not leave marks on the bottom. Eric why does this have a feed dog with no presser foot over it?

That makes sense, it certainly hasn't been drilled and if someone had actually knocked it out I would expect there to be lots more damage because it's cast material.

I have seen many casting flaws over the years. I think this one slipped by the factory. They may have filled it but the patch fell out later. Repairing defects in casting is common in foundries. Really will not hurt the operation of the machine. I have Consew 28 It does not have a feed dog just a slot for the needle and inside foot to feed works well and does not leave marks on the bottom. Eric why does this have a feed dog with no presser foot over it?

Yeah, I wondered the very same thing, nice catch! That left side of the upper feed dog was ground off on purpose, smooth, good angle. I'm sure someone had a reason to eliminate all but just a small portion of what feeds material through this machine. I ordered a new set today. I figured I'd use this machine to make hanger loop for our heavy wool jackets. I'm having a folder made to take 1.5" of our 26 oz wool and fold it with finished edges, 3/8" wide. The beauty of using this type of feed on wool is that I can run the upper and lower feed dogs at different speeds. When sewing wool, the bottom ply will feed in. A skinny loop comes out of the machine twisted. We can still use it, just makes it harder to cut into 5" lengths.

While I'm waiting for parts, I'll round up a table and get it all set up. This machine is really clean with just a smidge of rust. I'll take some fine steel wool to the hook and stuff.

Regards, Eric

post-33297-0-55405500-1458016631_thumb.j

For some reason I can't see the pictures, but my 18 has an extra hole as well.  If you can post a link to the photo I'll take a look and see if they are identical. 

Also, where did you find your parts?  Always looking for new sources.

John

53 minutes ago, 5shot said:

For some reason I can't see the pictures, but my 18 has an extra hole as well.  If you can post a link to the photo I'll take a look and see if they are identical. 

Also, where did you find your parts?  Always looking for new sources.

John

All of the old pictures have seemingly disappeared after the site upgrade. Makes a lot of the threads confusing. I buy parts from Universal Sewing Supply.

Regards, Eric

Thanks for the info.  If you happen to run into a bunch of seconds in a size 42 Short let me know!  Or some Tin Pant/Chaps in a 32-34 Waist.  Love me some Filson.

Quick question for you...can you adjust the lift on the walking foot?  I am trying to stitch through some foam, and it would be nice if the foot would go a touch higher than it does right now.

Finally have time to get back to this machine. I received the new top feed dogs and have placed the head into an old Singer table. The footprint was an exact match. I'm going to convert the foot lift to a chain. The only part of this machine that I found was the head itself. No table or motor. A chain lift will work nicer with less fuss. I'm still planning on setting it up to sew heavy twill binding. I'll post some pics as I get farther along. We rebuilt 2 Singer 153K103's  yesterday and this was next up until my new gauge set arrives for my long arm Singer 320W. It never ends.

Regards, Eric

Put the 18 into an old Singer stand today. Bolted on an old Singer motor, thread stand, converted the knee lift to a foot pedal. A new light and bobbin winder will complete the stand. I included some pics below, including something Singer did that unless you know specifically what it is, is a head scratcher. I have a new top feed dog ready to install after I check the timing. I should be ready to sew next week, time permitting. 

Regards, Eric 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I just saw one of these Consew 18 machines in a flea market/antique mall for, I believe, $125. It appears to be in good shape and it looks like that price includes a table and motor, etc. I already have a good Adler 67-GK373 for upholstery and leather work, but holy cow, I have trouble passing up what appears to be a perfectly good walking foot machine for $125 with table and motor.

Is there anything I need to be aware of with these machines that can bite me in the butt if I'm not careful to look it over? The low price has me a little hinky. I know enough about sewing machines to be dangerous, am but by no means an expert.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by Wellington

Is any one aware of a video showing how to thread a vintage  Consew 16 gray color.  as shown in A posting by Gottaknow leather