jinteddy7

How Do I Sew A Single Stitch And End It For Watch Straps.

Hi, am looking to make my own leather watch strap for my brother's upcoming birthday (as a birthday present for his Vintage Seiko Speedtimer) and have found many tutorials online. However, the tutorials mainly focus on the pattern making, cutting and burnishing of the strap rather than the stitching. I'm interested in learning how to stitch a single stitch bar tab like the ones in the pictures attached. Would be extremely gratefull if anyone could link me to pictures or a video tutorial illustrating how to sew such a stitch. I also have some excess Linen thread bought from Le Prevo and am wondering if its good enough. Any suggestions for the thread thickness and source (maine thread company?) would be much appreciated.

OJHe5sn.jpg
jKaiNQH.jpgPpB47sZ.jpg

Edited by jinteddy7

I see you got no responses so I'll give it a go.  No videos that I am aware of.  This is assuming the leather is folded over where the stitching occurs.  Punch the holes with a round awl.   I would begin with two needles threaded on a length of thread and feed one needle through from one side to the other, in between the layers.  Loop through twice and then fed back across, again, in between.  Loop twice again and then stuff the thread in between again.  Cut it and push it back inside.  Should result in what you see on the straps, two double loops, one piece of thread and no loose ends.  Not the most secure way to go but it is what it is.  The one with metal strap keep can also be done with one length, four stitches is no harder, just do as above and then pass back across to the other side of the keep, do both sides and then cut and tuck.

This looks like a single saddle stitch to me, but how its terminated on the back is a mystery.  If the thread is synthetic, you can melt the excess so that it will not unravel with a soldering iron or other heat source.

2 hours ago, immiketoo said:

This looks like a single saddle stitch to me, but how its terminated on the back is a mystery.  If the thread is synthetic, you can melt the excess so that it will not unravel with a soldering iron or other heat source.

I think tugadude nailed it, a two needle method where the terminal ends are bought out between the layers, knotted together and then tucked back down.

Edited by Martyn

On 4/30/2016 at 8:13 PM, Tugadude said:

I see you got no responses so I'll give it a go.  No videos that I am aware of.  This is assuming the leather is folded over where the stitching occurs.  Punch the holes with a round awl.   I would begin with two needles threaded on a length of thread and feed one needle through from one side to the other, in between the layers.  Loop through twice and then fed back across, again, in between.  Loop twice again and then stuff the thread in between again.  Cut it and push it back inside.  Should result in what you see on the straps, two double loops, one piece of thread and no loose ends.  Not the most secure way to go but it is what it is.  The one with metal strap keep can also be done with one length, four stitches is no harder, just do as above and then pass back across to the other side of the keep, do both sides and then cut and tuck.

Would you be able to post some pictures of this method?

Take a look at this video.  He shows a workable method.

13 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Take a look at this video.  He shows a workable method.

Thanks, it gives me a starting point. Guys, any idea if I can pull needle between glued layers of leather?

You can pull through glued leather bit it is obviously harder to do.