showtime

Singer 143W3 - Reverse Issues (Material Moving Back And Forth)

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen!

New here but have been following the forum for awhile now learning a wealth of information! Appreciate all the knowledge that has been shared here.

I'm hoping someone can chime in and help me understand the issue I am having with my Singer 143W3. When feeding in reverse the stitch length is shorter than feeding forward. Of more interest, when in reverse the material moves away from the operator a small amount before moving towards the operator. On the contrary, when feeding forward the material only moves away from the operator (no back and forth motion as seen when running in reverse.) I have verified that the feed dogs are indeed still moving in the "wrong" direction when they protrude through the throat plate in reverse, of course correcting and proceeding with a normal reverse feed.

I have tried playing with the feed dog height to see that was grossly out of spec and causing the issue, but as suspected, it did not effect the issue.

I'm not sure what the feed dog timing is supposed to be on the machine, but it appears that the first point in which the feed dogs remain stationary while actuating the reverse lever is when the needle rises 7mm above it's bottom point.

Is there an adjustment to reconcile this issue I am having? May this be a clue that something seemingly unrelated is not set correctly?

Truly appreciate and help or advice that can be shared!

ST