landrand

Double Needle Machine Uses (Singer 112G139 & 300W-1)

I recently purchased a Consew 206RB-2 compound walking-foot sewing machine from a local shop which is selling some of their older machines. The shop also has an old Singer 112G139 (double needle, lock stitch, w/puller feed) and a Singer 300W-01 (double needle, chain stitch, w/puller feed) sewing machines for sale and I'm wondering if I should pick up one of these as well. My problem is I have no experience in sewing and know very little about sewing machines in general. This week I've spent considerable amount of time researching these machines on-line and have picked up a little knowledge about sewing in general.

In a few years I plan to retire and am looking to pursue a hobby that will help me through these long, cold, and snowy Northern Michigan winters. I'm an outdoor enthusiast (fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, sailing) so I think it would be fun to make some of my own gear as well as re-upholster my car/boat seats and take on various canvas projects. I understand I have a long learning curve ahead of me, but as an computer engineer, I welcome the opportunity to learn and develop a new skill. At this point in time I'm only looking to do this as a hobby, but in the future if I become somewhat efficient, perhaps I might attempt to make some "beer money" doing projects for others.

For example, here's a list of items I would eventually like to make:

A small quantity of leather items such as: knife sheaths, pistol holster, belts, leather carrying straps for wicker fishing creels, leather rifle sling, re-upholster a Ford truck bench seat using leather.

Seat cushions, curtains, and various canvas items (biminis, awnings, dodger, covers) for a couple of sail boat restoration projects. Canvas gear bags with leather carrying straps. Winter canvas camping/hunting wall tent. Heavy wool hunting jacket, anorak, and pants. A pair of extreme cold weather gauntlet mittens and mukluk's.

I understand the Consew 206RB-2 sewing machine is probably all I need at the moment, but I'm wondering if picking up one of these double needle sewing machines for $300-$600 would be worth it and make my life easier for some future projects. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The 112W139 is a double needle version of the 111w155. Good machine for building bags with zippers and can be used in upholstery. I would pick it for that price. Wiz has a long arm version of that. The 300W-1 is a chain stich machine. Singer built the best one and those machines are in demand today since they are no longer made and parts are still available.

glenn

The 300W class of machines are among my favorite of all time. They are a needle feed chainstitch that can be configured to sew with multiple needle gauges. They can handle a wide variety of operations depending on the need. I have at least 10 in operation. We use them for felling our heavy wool. As for leather, I have one that I set up with a speed reducer to sew chrome tanned leather for Navy issue welding jackets. We used Kevlar thread in T90 and I had to run the needle thread through a silicone dip. They have their design flaws, but easy enough to work around.

Regards, Eric

I'm a full time Sailmaker and part time leather smith. The double needle will help keep things clean but not nessisary in my opinion. I have one that rarly gets used.

anything you need help with feel free to ask me and ill help you along the way with canvas or sailmaking help

mike

mike at supersailmakers dot com

I'd edit that email addy out ( PM is the way to go ) before the spam bots get to it IIWY..else it will be spam on toast..

Edited by mikesc

Thank you guys for the reply. It's funny.. after the last several weeks of studying sewing machines and sewing in general, whenever I pick up a piece of clothing or gear, I'll spend a bit of time to examine how its made and determine what type of stitching is used. Never done that before!

I'm still doing a bit of research to understand the differences and applicability of the lock-stitch vs chain-stitch.  Which of these stitches would be more suitable for heavy canvas type work (for tents, boat covers, etc)?  The Singer 300W chain-stitch machine is only a needle feed but it also does come with a roller feed mechanism. Would this work well for large canvas projects?

MikeKratz,
Although I would eventually love to be able to make my own sails, it's probably way too complex and complicated for a novice like myself. In any case, your post got me thinking about maybe someday making sails for my sailboats.  Would my Consew 206RB-2 machine be sufficient for sail making?  If not, what stitch and feed type are preferable? 

The 300W set up with either a 1/4" or 3/8" guage set, a full fell folder with your puller are ideal for making tents and tarps. No bobbin changes to worry about. The hardest part for a novice is learning how to set these beastly machines. They are nothing like a lockstitch machine, not even close. There's an entire different theory for how they sew, how to set them and how to trouble shoot them. On a lighter note, of all the chainstitch machines on the planet, this is the machine I always start a new mechanic on since they are relatively open and easy to work on.

Regards, Eric

Last week I bought a singer 133k17. It was in a lot of 3 machines. The singer, a pfaff 132 and a union special similar to the machine in that youtube clip from Gottaknow. Double needle chainstitch. It's a dream not having to change a bobin! One can sew on and on and on....

Didn't know the use of it either. Could only think of jeans. Inside leg at mine.

Now I know I could be a tent maker also, haha. To bad I don't have enough space to keep it. Nice machine.

On 3/29/2016 at 0:38 PM, gottaknow said:

.....full fell folder

I'm not sure what a full fell folder is? Is it by any chance this gadget as shown in this video.  If so, i think I'm going to like the singer 300w as this looks very efficient and relatively easy.  I'm a novice so would i be able to get literature about how to properly "set up" a 300w? I think the 300w is already set up for 1/4 inch.  Not sure what all is involved in setting up a machine.

https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=1yjpaw4rb#/watch?v=PIAa06VJFL4

2 hours ago, landrand said:

I'm a novice so would i be able to get literature about how to properly "set up" a 300w?

Take a job as an apprentice sewer where Eric (Gottaknow) works. You will learn what you need to know to use the machine..That is that.

I suspect that if there was a list for people who wanted to be apprenticed to Eric, it would be as long as the list of those who want to be apprentices at Hermes, and for the same reasons :)

btw Wiz ..noticed it now says moderator next to your name ..:) extremely well merited IMHO, read everyone of your posts that I could before I ever signed up here..Thankyou ( and Johanna , and all the other mods and experts ) for all the advice and insights..

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Take a job as an apprentice sewer where Eric (Gottaknow) works. You will learn what you need to know to use the machine..That is that.

And we're hiring next month!  

6 hours ago, landrand said:

I'm not sure what a full fell folder is? Is it by any chance this gadget as shown in this video.  If so, i think I'm going to like the singer 300w as this looks very efficient and relatively easy.  I'm a novice so would i be able to get literature about how to properly "set up" a 300w? I think the 300w is already set up for 1/4 inch.  Not sure what all is involved in setting up a machine.

https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=1yjpaw4rb#/watch?v=PIAa06VJFL4

That is a full fell folder, but the person using it needs some training. 

As I said before, chainstitch machines are not really for novices. Even though the 300w series are about as basic as they get, very different from lockstitch machines. Instead of hooks, there are loopers. There is different terminology such as looper gauge, looper avoid, synchronization, spreaders, and on and on. They are a necessity for apparel manufacturing for speed, seam stretch, no bobbin changes. They have limited use in leatherwork due to the fact that the chain is exposed and subject to abrasion. Without the theory knowledge, the manual is of little use in keeping them sewing. 

Regards, Eric 

I actually have a 300w 201, and a 300u 205, and others, after 28 yrs I'm selling everything in my shop and moving somewhere warm. I have no idea how to sell this equipment,  or who buys it fast but I can't move until it's sold.  Could someone please give me some advice? 

14 hours ago, Stitchyfingers said:

I actually have a 300w 201, and a 300u 205, and others, after 28 yrs I'm selling everything in my shop and moving somewhere warm. I have no idea how to sell this equipment,  or who buys it fast but I can't move until it's sold.  Could someone please give me some advice? 

Post an ad for these machines in our Marketplace, under Sewing Equipment > Used.