JSM

Singer 144W Stitch Length Adjustment

Been reading the forum for some time but this is my first post as I couldn't find the issue anywhere else.

I am recommissioning a Singer 144W305 (S/N AN321834) and everything has gone very well (special thanks to Cowboy Bob - my local industrial sewing machine guy - for stocking tons of parts for this machine!)

I have the machine running and pretty well adjusted but I can't figure out how to adjust the stitch length. The manual on the Singer website is pretty straightforward, but I don't have the plunger (J figure 14, page 12 and 13 of the manual). Instead, there is a bump in the casting where that should be. I took off the window to check out what is inside and there is no adjustable eccentric on the shaft where that plunger would engage. There is a push button on the right side of the bed though. Without the plunger how is the length of stitch adjusted? Can't seem to find anything online about this.

I attached a pic where you can see the single push button on the bed on the far right with scissors pointing to it and the lack of a plunger on the casting with a screwdriver pointing to it. Can anybody help?

post-70956-0-67213500-1458310407_thumb.j

Edited by JSM

You might want to flip" those images to be the right way up, I expect you'll have more chances of getting replies from other than the antipodean members ;)

Edit..did it for you.HTH :)

post-55639-311494_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikesc

You are welcome..I was just on my way out when I noticed it :)

Problem solved by Cowboy Bob! On the 305 the stitch length adjustment is linked rather than separate. It is the front screw on the collar just left of the timing belt and arm linkages as shown in the pic.

Thanks Bob!

post-70956-0-13876400-1458314272_thumb.j