Jarednem

Quality Tools! Who Makes The Best Of Each? Which Tools Do U Appreciate?

Everyone one has there own idea of the best and highest quality tools and there are different reason that make certain tools better than others. Steel type and materials used, Design, and price. Whats in your tools box? Name the best tools and who makes them that you appreciate and why! Round Knives, Mauls, Stitch groovers, Sewing Awls, Scratch awls, Burnishers, Compass, Stitch chisels, prick chisels, Edgers, Stitching Pony and Clam, Hole Punches....Etc.

Stitch Groove- I just Bought a Versa Groove and when comparing it to tandy's, wow its night and day.

Round Knife- I love my LW round knife especially the back cut portion

Slowly building up my Barry king collection, very satisfied with the quality of beveler's and sewing awl

Maul - the BK slant maul is my favorite, the grooves in the head are perfect

I have started accumulating various array of tools, started out with tandy and slow started to buy higher quality tools. LW, BK, Osbourne, Chuck Smith, Blanchard, etc.

This all Started when try to find a quality V-groover and I still havent found one, anyone know a high quality v-groove?

Edited by Jarednem

Use your Versa Groover to start and then widen your groove with a French Edger. If you need a deeper grove, go over it with the Versa Groove again, then use the French Edger to finish up the sides. There are a couple of threads where members have modified the Tandy abomination to work just fine; if you need adjustable, pick one of the Tandys up cheap and make the mods, they are pretty simple. Also learn to sharpen.

Art

I've been looking at videos of Japanese leather knives on YouTube, and I'm partway through making one from a piece of industrial width (about 38mm) hacksaw blade

I'd like to think that when it's finished, and gone through a thorough sharpening procedure it will be as good as most commercially available knives

Edited by zuludog

I've been looking at videos of Japanese leather knives on YouTube, and I'm partway through making one from a piece of industrial width (about 38mm) hacksaw blade

I'd like to think that when it's finished, and gone through a thorough sharpening procedure it will be as good as most commercially available knives

Not a bad idea for a clicking knife

This one is easy for me. Headknife, skiver, trimknife, stitching awl, awl diamond blade, are all my own design and build since I'm a knifemaker. I'm a bit of an edge head so I use the best steel and the best heat treat for excellent edge retention and performance.

For other vendors I really like my Osborne sewing palms, and there is a good chance I will invest in a decent SK in the near future as well. I have toyed with plans to make one for over a year, but it's hard to take the time off of other knife builds for my own and would be close to a wash on price compared to many commercial options.