Squilchuck

Work Sharp Belt Sharpeners?

What do you think of the Work Sharp belt sharpeners? I was looking at the high end Ken Onion model. I have a HF 1x30 sander with Lee Valley belts but I just can't seem to get a real sharp edge. So, was considering the Work Sharp model w adjustable angle guides and variable speed motor. Should I just stick to my DMT stones?

The KO Work Sharp will get a blade sharp. They make a five belt set for it that goes from 180 to 12000 that works fine. The belts are 1x18 I think. You should be able to get a sharp edge on the HF 1x30 that will rival the KO. If you hold edge down on the HF and grind till you have a burr, then switch sides and do that a couple of times and go to a higher grit, and run up through the belts, you will find that after the 400 the knife is essentially sharp. Going further just polishes the edge. As you get more experience, remove the platen and you will get a convex or teardrop edge. Figure the angle by doing it by halves. Hold the knife flat on the table and that's 90, halfway between the platen and the table is 45, half again is 22.5 and half of that is around 11.25, probably as acute an angle as you want to go with anywhere between 11 and 15 being optimal (that's 22-30 included - both sides). Figure 22.5 is 45 included and will still provide a really sharp camp knife and a more durable edge. Remember, as long as you are bringing up a burr on each side, the knife will be sharp. Often with the new super steels you will have to go with included angles of 30-40 degrees to get rid of micro chipping of the edge. Steels with carbon in the 1.5 or more range chip out (micro) at the least little contact with a stone or other hard surface so give them a lot more steel behind the edge (higher angle).

I use the Micro-Mesh MX belts from Micro-Surface, you still need a 100 or a 120 regular belt for any profiling or serious metal removal jobs.

Sometimes it is necessary to sharpen a blade two or three times to get a really good convex profile especially with the newer hard as hell steels with wear resistant additives.

Art

Just ordered a K O Work Sharp yesterday from Cabela's...their on sale...in the past I've used HF 1x30, but wanted something more portable. Hope the Work Sharp does the trick.

By the way what angle would you recommend for leather cutting knives, like a Osborn Strap cutter blade.

I have the older version of the KO sharpener and it is great. No idea what the improvements are to the KO version but probably worth every cent.

God Bless.

Ray

Got mine yesterday...there is a slight learning curve...but works great--a little easer to use than a HF 1x30 belt sander, but you can get a shaving sharp edge with both.  It's nice to have a sharpener that can be easily transported out into the field and run with an inverter hooked to the truck battery. 

By the way...mine broke last night after sharpening several knives...the tension wheel broke in two places and 1/4 inch piece of plastic flew off...called Cabela's and they are sending out a replacement as soon as I send the broken one back...guess I could have called Work Sharp, and got a replacement part and fixed it myself, but Cabela's has such good customer service and quick shipping, I figured I would get a new unit.  

Edited by Troy I

For occasional use the KO WS is a very good option.  In Heavy use, it is a little lightly built.  Nonetheless, it is very portable although the 1x30 is sorta portable too, can't say that of a 2x72.  If you can get good customer service from Cabela's, it's even better.

Art