Thor

New Forum Style - March 2016 update

Congrats and thank you Johanna and gang, this is working much smoother than the old software. I'm liking it a lot and I hope others enjoy and acknowledge the work you did put into this. Of course there are things one has to get used to again, but this software seems to be much better. Thumbs up!

Thanks Thor! I appreciate the kind words after the last couple of days! I've got some things to do yet, but overall I think it's a success. The board displays nicely on a smartphone now, and yes, it's faster. Now if I can only recover our home page! LOL

~J

Agreed, it's a bit cleaner and SO much faster!  Thanks for all the hard and stressful work to get this site going again!

Agreed on the faster part, the other software was slow from day one, this scoots along better.  Today is the first time accessing it from a PC, and my positive comments relate to the PC.  From my IPAD, I hope the configuration bugs get worked out.

I like it, Johanna!   Thank you for the upgrade, and all your hard work ... always!

Bill

Edited by billybopp

Thanks Aaron & Bill! Aaron- check your iPad when you get a chance. I think I have it right now?

~J

image.jpegAnother issue. I have to have the iPad upright instead of sideways or a big blank box covers the top half of the screen. 

image.thumb.jpeg.edd76ad8ba2ccfdbf10ebef

I have a pic of it the other way but it keeps saying "there was a problem uploading the file"

Thanks for checking...looking into it now.

~J

Let me jump in here a second, . . . just wanted to say YES, . . . I like the new format.

Much faster, . . . "looks" cleaner, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Johanna, is there a chance to have a toggle option for the sidebar (status updates, recent topics...)?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Johanna, is there a chance to have a toggle option for the sidebar (status updates, recent topics...)?

Or if you cant toggle it, ditch it! It is just a repeat of stuff that is elsewhere and takes up 40% of the screen with dead space once you scroll past the birthdays.

Edited by Martyn

I love it! It's much cleaner, and I'm glad you guys can start getting some ad revenue. If you had ads before I had'nt noticed. Are the attached pictures on previos posts comming back?

Pics are coming back slowly. I removed the sidebar on the topic pages. Better?

I like much better without the sidebar.  It's not too bad if you're on a PC, but eats a huge amount of screen space on a tablet.  

Thanks again!

Bill

6 minutes ago, Johanna said:

Pics are coming back slowly. I removed the sidebar on the topic pages. Better?

Much, thank you. You have my sympathies BTW, I've been where you are too many times and it's no fun. Good luck. :)

Yes, better without the sidebar ( although if it had more content ..down to the scroll limit..like maybe ads? it would not be so much of a "white space "that  is wasted ) ..even on a desktop..( the "breakpoint" in the CSS must be in a weird place )..now is elegant as a swan. ;)

Given the "plate spinning act whilst on a trapeze" you have been doing..or "changing the transmission whilst the vehicle is still under power and rolling"

( pick a simili that you can identify with )..but to those who don't run dynamic websites, the leather lady ( bless her for making this place exist ) has been doing some complex stuff here ( big site, big database, and "live" user input ) and doing it very well, with only minimum shut down time..it aint easy..

Johanna..

You should award yourself a  Saint-Nicholas-de-Bourgueil and some Leonidas  ( it is the season of chocolate ..and real wine and real chocolate go well together ) while the old images populate..enjoy ( what would have been a holiday ) your work ( and that of others behind the scenes ) is very much appreciated..

Merci Bien  :)

Mikesc, after the last few days your kind words are very appreciated. Yes, it's like trying to fix a car while rolling. Good analogy.

What do you folks think of the color scheme? Is everything easy to see?

Thanks everybody!

~J

I do miss the slightly more earthy tones, but this is extremely easy to read and that might help out those with worse vision than myself, so I'm not about to weep over it. ;)

Johanna, a few things I'm missing. Not necessarily needed - I just wanted to mention it for your "nice to have" list.

If I click a link it would be nice if it would take me to the newest entry all the time.

Links posted in the chat room aren't always an active hyperlink. Looks like that feature is lost when some text is added in the same line.

It's kinda annoying if I get an email each time someone writes a reply to a topic I follow. Almost tempting me to update my spam filter. This option isn't activated or changeable in the settings area.

Buttons for "go to top" and "go to bottom" would be nice. Of course one can use Pos1 and End keys, but that isn't really available on mobile devices.

In an "unread list" it would be nice if only the last topic entry would be displayed and not each entry for that individual topic. It can be pretty extensive with the odd topic.

Hope this feedback helps.

Any chance to place the "Who Was Online" block at the end of the sidebar. It's really not of any interest, or at least not as interesting as the following blocks.

Better?