lorraine g

Purse pattern for newish leather worker

Hi there.

A small request from sunny Scotland. I have been trying to make the this purse for ages but can never get the folds in the right place. I have looked online but I can't seem to make sense of the instructions. If someone out there can help this damsel in distress is be soooooo happy. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg.56063d61456bc4614e588abddbf12

image.jpeg.d191792f3457d45cccd45d56cd3d9

image.thumb.jpeg.f286ded4712085b4c824cf8

image.thumb.jpeg.7608eb863fe3ef893ed2fa2

Hi Lorraine,

I've made one of this purses when I started leatherwork, about a year and a half ago. I remember I had some difficulty too, understanding the "construction" of the purse. What is your problem exactly? Maybe I can help.

Sandra

i think it something like this - without the inserts of course

large circles are the press studs, the smaller rivets

a 30 degree angle on the dotted lines

i may be completely wrong, but my paper model works :)

Scoot

Small Purse.jpg

56f6403f68054_SmallPurse.thumb.jpg.2bebd

Edited by Sc00t3r

11 hours ago, SamB said:

Hi Lorraine,

I've made one of this purses when I started leatherwork, about a year and a half ago. I remember I had some difficulty too, understanding the "construction" of the purse. What is your problem exactly? Maybe I can help.

Sandra

Sandra. My problem had been knowing where the folds are and how to secure the inner layer to make the flap on the inside. 

Very frustrating indeed!

Thanks for that Scoot. Do you have the measurements for this?

A few of the ones I have seen on pinterest etc have lining material as made with fabric and I just want leather with no lining,other than a second flap. Does that make sense?

5 hours ago, lorraine g said:

Sandra. My problem had been knowing where the folds are and how to secure the inner layer to make the flap on the inside. 

Very frustrating indeed!

Hi,

I added some instructions to the pattern that's bellow. See if you understand my instructions!

This is the pattern for Thor's first link!

folded purse.pdf

folded purse.pdf

Edited by SamB
adjust measurements

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sandra, are you sure about the measurements? 

Those are not my measurements. Mine are colored. But they seem right.

In fact, when I made this purse I still didn't have the pattern I've uploaded, only one similar to your link, and then I just cutted the drawing and enlarged it until it seemed ok to me. My purse is about 1cm smaller than the pattern in the link.

But why do you ask?

Thor, I think I know what you mean, 1600 what? I'll correct it

Yes, it looks like you added a zero too many all around. I always use a graphic program and size it to my needs.

Edited by Thor

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, it looks like you added a zero too many all around. I always use a graphic program and size it to my needs.

I had to edit a pdf, the pattern or the measurements are not mine as I said before :). I just forgot to correct the original. In fact, not too many zeros, just lacking a "." before them ;)

Thanks very much guys. I'll try that tomorrow. 

I'm going to try and upload pictures of some of my things I've made. I guess I need to resize every thing though.......

Well I eventually got round to trying this out. So far so good with the practice piece. If I wanted to make it wide enough to hold notes unfolded, would everything stay the same other then the middle part?it makes sense in my head anyway. 

15 minutes ago, lorraine g said:

Well I eventually got round to trying this out. So far so good with the practice piece. If I wanted to make it wide enough to hold notes unfolded, would everything stay the same other then the middle part?it makes sense in my head anyway. 

Makes sense in my head as well! ;)