BJP

Latigo won't stop bleeding

I make dog collars and have been using veg tan so they can be stamped and tooled.  Recently I switched to Latigo, and have made some nice collars but don't feel I can sell them as they bleed when I rub them with a cloth, or conditioner.  They have been finished for some time now but still have a generous amt of dye bleed.    Worry that dogs hair will stain when it gets wet, and really not a good thing to have happen when u want to sell dog collars   

What can I do to prevent or stop this?   

Thanks.. Bev 

Hi Bev,

Latigo will stop bleeding with age and use, but when new it is the nature of the beast.  We used to use yellow latigo in the old days, and it probably still bled, but you didn't notice it.  Get dog the same color as the latigo?

Art

Hi Art,

I have a chocolate lab so l'm not too worried about color bleed on him... But I do make collars to sell and am quite worried that the customers' dog will turn pink around the neck if it's a lighter color dog!     So not good for business!  Lol.  Can't have that!

I  don't know what to recommend to the customers to use to get the dye off the dogs fur.  Do you have any good ideas?

Do you .. or does anyone know why the burgundy latigo seems to bleed regardless of what I've  done to it.  

Black doesn't give me near as many problems as it seems to lessen with conditions etc. 

Maybe I should stick to brown or tan Latigo?   I'm stumped and I really love working with it and would love to find an answer!

Thanks.. Bev

Hi Bev,

I really can't help you there, all latigo is different, some bleeds more than others.  You might want to try the burgundy from different suppliers, you might find one that is a little more fast.

Art

Sounds as if this is a standard, hmm.

So what is the option with other types of dye methods and if any avail, I wonder!

Thanks for the heads up you all, and sorry Bev I do hope the site here can come up with something.

Floyd

It is a result from the waxes and oils that are used to make the Latigo and that is you won't find many who actually dye it as it really isn't very responsive to the process.

Hi NVLeatherWorx,

I use both tooling leather, ( veg tan) and also use latigo for my dog collars.   I don't ever put any extra dye on the Latigo except to touch up the cut sides.. Sometimes.  The bleeding of color is just what happens when I condition the collar after its finished and wiped down with a rag.  ALWAYS  get red dye on the  rag I wipe the conditioner off with and color comes off when the rag is damp. Ugh.  

Does this happen with all colours? And for how long?  

I've got a border collie with the typical black and white colours. His neck is as pure white as white can get (unless he's been in the mud!)

I make my dog collars, that I sell, almost exclusively out of latigo for its weather resistant properties. And I just make sure to tell customers exactly what to expect from the latigo, from my own experience.

In Charlies case (my border collie), the latigo did bleed the first two-three months. Mostly when it got wet, but also with a bit of rub off. I did take him swimming a couple of times during that period, and left his collar on while he was in the water. During that time it did colour his neck hair a fair bit. But it was not permanent, and I have not seen it bleed or discolour his neck since... despite swimming several more times.

On a side note, I haven't treated the collar at all in about 2 years. And lets just say that Charlie is not a gentle animal, nor one to stay clean and dry! 

I have updated my collar design though, but his doesn't show any signs of giving in to the harsh treatment any time soon. Which means he will be keeping his old collar rather than getting one of my new design for the foreseeable future! (Or maybe Christmas if I am feeling inclined) :)

My point is, make sure to set customer expectations up-front. If they know to expect it, how long it will last, the reason, and the benefit (durability, wear resistancs, etc) then they often won't care about a bit of temporary colour rub off. And if they do? Then a latigo collar is not for them... but a nice harness leather one just might be!

6 hours ago, Wedgetail said:

I've got a border collie with the typical black and white colours. His neck is as pure white as white can get (unless he's been in the mud!)

I make my dog collars, that I sell, almost exclusively out of latigo for its weather resistant properties. And I just make sure to tell customers exactly what to expect from the latigo, from my own experience.

In Charlies case (my border collie), the latigo did bleed the first two-three months. Mostly when it got wet, but also with a bit of rub off. I did take him swimming a couple of times during that period, and left his collar on while he was in the water. During that time it did colour his neck hair a fair bit. But it was not permanent, and I have not seen it bleed or discolour his neck since... despite swimming several more times.

On a side note, I haven't treated the collar at all in about 2 years. And lets just say that Charlie is not a gentle animal, nor one to stay clean and dry! 

I have updated my collar design though, but his doesn't show any signs of giving in to the harsh treatment any time soon. Which means he will be keeping his old collar rather than getting one of my new design for the foreseeable future! (Or maybe Christmas if I am feeling inclined) :)

My point is, make sure to set customer expectations up-front. If they know to expect it, how long it will last, the reason, and the benefit (durability, wear resistancs, etc) then they often won't care about a bit of temporary colour rub off. And if they do? Then a latigo collar is not for them... but a nice harness leather one just might be!

This makes me smile, because I have a border collie lying at my feet as I eat my breakfast and peruse the internet.  She loves water (to a fault) and is a go-getter, especially around the livestock.  She belongs to my grown son, but comes to stay at "Nana's" house for extended periods of time, as they live in town and border collies need some farm life.  She is a great companion, and I'm not even a dog person!