nrk

Springfield Leather Company to rise prices for Hermann Oak leather?

Hi all.

was a while logging into my account in SLC.

Just got in, and i see that the price for Hermann Oak leather B grade Backs has moved from 10,49$ (was) to 11.79$ (now).

Have checked on HO website, and seems no price shifting there.

What is the reason of SLC prices to rise? anyone aware? or it's just my account?

Yep, mine showing $11.79 per.

H.O. price right around $8, and that's for "A" grade.

Edited by JLSleather

They have free shipping on items over a certain amount (what is it, like $75?). Maybe they will be shifting their prices a bit on some stuff to accommodate the free shipping?

Yikes -- jack up the leather $75 (about $4 per foot times 18) to save me $20 shipping?  

That's not exactly what I meant. They are offering shipping on orders over $75 (I looked it up). I opined that possibly they are raising their prices a bit to absorb the loss of revenue. Nothing is ever free, it's just an illusion of free-ness. They still have to pay to ship to people so maybe they're passing that cost along.

It's also possible that they have an account with UPS and don't pay what normal people pay to ship and the price raising is something else entirely. Maybe it costs more to get the hides to SLC from HO or some other unforeseen expense.

My advise would be to give them a call and ask. They're super nice over there and I'm sure you'll get a straight answer.

48 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

sad (

yeah,  still the same at HO

A couple of things about Springfield Leather Company I really do have to add; They have never sent me a hide that I didn't like. For that matter, I have never been unhappy with a purchase of anything from there. Their packaging is super top notch. They are very nice on the phone and if I ever had a problem, I think it was only once on something very minor, they take care of it immediately. No need to call more than once, and they take care of business very professionally. It's a real top notch operation. And now with the free shipping, you don't have to figure out what will fit in the box to make the most of shipping charges. It's real convenient.

27 minutes ago, Mike516 said:

That's not exactly what I meant. They are offering shipping on orders over $75 (I looked it up). I opined that possibly they are raising their prices a bit to absorb the loss of revenue. Nothing is ever free, it's just an illusion of free-ness. They still have to pay to ship to people so maybe they're passing that cost along.

It's also possible that they have an account with UPS and don't pay what normal people pay to ship and the price raising is something else entirely. Maybe it costs more to get the hides to SLC from HO or some other unforeseen expense.

My advise would be to give them a call and ask. They're super nice over there and I'm sure you'll get a straight answer.

emm,

maybe. there is a huge BUT - if they try to accumulate expenses over 'free' shipping(which we, as customers have not been asked for), they have to go rising prices all over their items, and not specifically on B grade HO backs.

Even if i call , what do you think they will tell me? ;))) they will find dozens of reasons, to tell the customers on why they rise up the price of an item (one item for the moment)

Edited by nrk

They will probably tell you why they raised the price. If you want to know, that's the best way to find out.

27 minutes ago, Mike516 said:

They will probably tell you why they raised the price. If you want to know, that's the best way to find out.

No, don't want to know actually.

I do understand why they could rise in general, but don't, when there are 'specific' rises.

On instance, same B grade , but Culatta, have the same price of 10,49$ ;)

Oh ok. You had asked if anyone was aware of why they had raised their price, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested calling them.

Each person sets his price his own way -- I don't debate it.  But I do think that anyone who thinks they've always got good leather down there hasn't seen much leather.

Well, in all fairness, I haven't ordered anything from down there for a few months.  Probably they've fixed all their issues since then :dunno:

Jeff you order from them all the time when your other companies can't ship fast enough. Did they pee in your Cheerios? Hundreds of us have said what Mike did, I've never been unsatisfied with their services. And I saw HO at Sheridan so I have seen a good hide, there AND at SLC. Cheryl

23 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Each person sets his price his own way -- I don't debate it.  But I do think that anyone who thinks they've always got good leather down there hasn't seen much leather.

Well, in all fairness, I haven't ordered anything from down there for a few months.  Probably they've fixed all their issues since then :dunno:

You're right and I don't deny it, compared to most folks around here, I absolutely consider myself a beginner and haven't seen many hides. But the ones I have gotten from Springfield have all been excellent for my uses.

I have ordered from Tandy and Springfield and I can say beyond any doubt that Springfield has treated me much better than Tandy has. That is not to say there aren't good Tandy stores, and they are always fairly courteous. But my last few orders from them have been terribly disappointing, including an unusable hide. Their answer was that there wasn't much to choose from so they sent me what they had. It was my own fault for waiting until I was almost out and really needed a hide, but they did take it back. Luckily Springfield was able to send me a beautiful hide right away and I never ran completely out. Now of course I don't take any chances and keep an extra side on hand.

But I can only speak from my own experience, so weather I've bought one hide or a million hides, so far they've all been good :)

21 minutes ago, DoubleC said:

Jeff you order from them all the time when your other companies can't ship fast enough. Did they pee in your Cheerios? Hundreds of us have said what Mike did, I've never been unsatisfied with their services. And I saw HO at Sheridan so I have seen a good hide, there AND at SLC. Cheryl

well..

i did have negative experience with them. couple of my friends did also.

to be fair, you have to look on entire forum for the real feedbacks (both negative and positive).

that's not a point.

maybe i had a miswording, but already mentioned -  one item is rised up, another one hasn't - how is it possible? aren't they from the same manufacturer? aren't there taxes, transportation etc expenses?

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

true ;)

Nobody or Company ever fixes all their issues.  I recommend SLC and Sheridan because they will actually strive to correct the problem.  When SLC has messed up, a simple WTF call has gotten Kevin jumping up and down all over the problem, and to MY benefit by the way.  Can't say I've had a problem with Sheridan, but they are a bit smaller operation. As far as leather and pricing, buy where you get the best hide and the best deal, or the best service (pick any two).

Art

5 hours ago, JLSleather said:

That is HO wholesale pricing

Minimum Order:
9/10 oz. and under:  10 sides or backs, one thickness, or

20 sides or backs of any 4 thicknesses.

They are entitled to make money off of their investment.

It almost seems important to some of you to defend those people.  Which is strange, since I'm not attacking them, nor do I see anyone else doing that.

My position, the rest of you can order as often or as little as you like... makes no difference to me.

Have only bought some exotic stuff from them, searching for the bestest, cheapest, baddest, best value leather does seem a bit Quixotic to me.  Buy what you like where you like.

Art

Where do you find sides on the website? All I can find is the culattas.

Chris

It is all located under their tooling leather category and it is on the second page.

Anyone order HO from Panhandle Leather, very tempted by the price. They have lots of boot making supplies so I'm assuming more than a few Texas bootmakers shop there.  

On 3/29/2016 at 11:01 PM, ChriJ said:

Where do you find sides on the website? All I can find is the culattas.

14 hours ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

It is all located under their tooling leather category and it is on the second page.

That is the one thing that drives me nuts is their website. Aside from the tiny little arrow to go to your cart, it seems like their web designer could have done a better job organizing and making searching a bit easier than what is currently in place. I like SLC. I've spent enough money there to know I should also buy from other places every now and then (W&C, RJF, etc) They are convenient so they remain another resource in the toolbox and not the end all be all for my supply purchases. 

9 hours ago, FarmerJohn said:

Anyone order HO from Panhandle Leather, very tempted by the price. They have lots of boot making supplies so I'm assuming more than a few Texas bootmakers shop there.  

They give very little info on their site as to what you are getting except the weight. SLC HO Craftsman side runs about $166 based on 20 sf, with free shipping.