AppaloosaBeadsLeather

Second Hand Tippmann Boss HELP!

Please help - my Tippmann boss is missing stitches/not stitching at all. Using 277 thread and a 200 leather point needle. Trying to sew 8/9oz veg tan (single layer). Tension adjusted as per instruction manual. Tried turning needle, adjusted rack stop, nothing is working! 

Make sure you are pushing the handle through the full stroke, If you don't go all the way up until it stops it will drop stitches.  I had one of those for a couple of years, and always had trouble with the thread looping around the needle on the upstroke until someone told me to put a pipecleaner through the last guidetube on top of the machine to hold tension on the thread at that point . Goodluck

I have carefully made sure I am using the full stroke - still having the issue. When I watch the shuttle, the hook does not consistently catch the needle thread. I have adjusted the rack stop screw and can't seem to solve the problem. 

Sorry that my advice didn't help you. Have you tried a search for Tippmann Boss on this site. you should be able to find more info. You will find that people either love or hate those machines. I had mine for about three years, and used it a lot. My experience was that there was always something  frustrating going on with that thing.

Have you tried talking with the folks at Tippmann?  They have always been very helpful to me...

Tippmann Toll Free tech line is open M-F from 8:30-5 eastern.

866-286-8046       Please ask for the service dept.

Hope this helps!

Edited by LNLeather
because I do Hope this helps!

My Boss was doing the same thing. Changed the needle double checked tension. Bingo Bango bobs your uncle.

I unthreaded the machine and started with the basics. Ran some material through and adjusted the pressure foot tension. Rethreaded the needle and started stitching, constantly adjusting tension. I don't have it perfect yet but I have it functioning much better. I will keep practicing and tweaking. Thanks everyone for your help!

Could be as simple as a bent or dull needle. Try a brand new one and make sure it's installed inn the correct orientation.

Michelle

It's sounds like you're on the right track.  I had similar problems with mine.  Besides the good advise given by others, switching my bobbin thread to 207 with 277 on the top also helped.

I must confess, however, that I now use a much better power machine.  I still use the Tippmann as a hole punch for the welts on very heavy cowboy action shooting holsters.