Well that is WAY too nice for a first bag!  Go throw it down some blade-covered stairs and kick it down the block and then I'll believe it's your first. ;)   

A bit nice for a 4 yearold!

Man, I don't even carry a bag that nice, lol.   Lucky 4 year old!  Nicely done!

YinTx

I think it was smart to make an age appropriate size. I have one child .. a daughter and on her first day of school when I saw her lined up and marched into school with her huge backpack on full of supplies ... I will admit I cried like a baby!! They grow up so fast.

Beautiful work!

sure beats my first bag!

awesome

21 hours ago, eransh10 said:

Very well done.

From the look of it - I can only assume you used Ian Atkinson pattern pack ???

Yes I did. I have learned a great deal watching his and armitage's  video's. 

What kind of leather did you use?   Very nice work!  

Yes, I have an 11 year old little girl... Yes it was all I could do when I dropped her off her first day, to make it out of the parking lot before I broke down.  Quite strange I'm sure, mr. Big tough fireman, is a giant softy when it comes to his baby girl.  

Edited by l2bravo

I used some veg tan leather 4-5 oz. 2-3 for the front pocket. Not the highest quality stuff since it was my first bag and for a 4 year old. 

10 hours ago, Huginn said:

I used some veg tan leather 4-5 oz. 2-3 for the front pocket. Not the highest quality stuff since it was my first bag and for a 4 year old. 

Wickett/Craig leather?
are the straps also 4/5oz? 
don't they stretch?

It was some stuff i got from tandy. I imagine that they will stretch over time but I also don't foresee my 4 year old carrying anything too heavy. the straps are also 4/5 oz yes. When I build my bag it will have thicker straps and have some webbing inside to prevent stretching.

4 minutes ago, Huginn said:

It was some stuff i got from tandy. I imagine that they will stretch over time but I also don't foresee my 4 year old carrying anything too heavy. the straps are also 4/5 oz yes. When I build my bag it will have thicker straps and have some webbing inside to prevent stretching.

I was thinking the same thing .. the bag looks to be about 10x10 or 12x12 and even if your child uses it for a few years I think the stretching would be minimal. Plus they are removable so you could always replace them. I was going to suggest that instead of webbing for yours you just run a perimeter stitch which would minimize stretch also but the bag feels like it might want smooth straps aesthetically. I like stitching and I like the look of stitching so I may be a glutton for punishment.

That's a beautiful bag. I have also been very impressed with Ian's knowledge and willingness to share it. I'll be making a tote for my wife's birthday before I tackle a bag. But I'm looking forward to it. 

Awesome bag.