eby

Made in the USA Belt Buckle Source

I have been looking for a USA manufacturer of belt buckles for some time.  There are a few suppliers out there, but very few and hard to find.

I'm in the process of getting some quotes and samples from Philip Machine and trying to gauge how much interest there might be in reselling a good share of whatever I buy.  I spoke with a gentleman on the phone there today and they typically require a minimum order of around 500 units for solid brass, which can be broken down into multiple finishes, such as brass, nickel plate, antiqued, etc.  I have not gotten a proper quote back yet, but I believe they would be somewhere in the $2 range per buckle.  I would likely add some markup depending on how much shipping turned into and how long I though I'd be sitting on them.  I'm certainly not looking to get rich on this deal, but I do believe in getting paid a little something for taking on the work and the risk...  500 buckles is probably ten years' worth for my operation.  If there's enough interest in other folks buying quality USA-made buckles I would list them on my Etsy store as a regular item.  I'd love to be able to get quality US items on the market to folks that will use them.

So, any thoughts?  Anyone?  I know other folks are interested in finding domestic suppliers, so it seems like this should be doable.  I'm not really interested in trying to do a group buy or form some loose coalition, as those things just seem to stall or fall apart.

You can check out Philip Machine at: http://www.philipmachine.com/ 

If interested take a look at their buckles and see if they might fit your needs.  Let me know if you have any interest and what type/size/finish of buckles would work for you.  I'll post updates as I get firmer costs and feasibility, or if they come through with samples.  I'll also post this in another forum or two where folks might look for this info.  And if it turns into a total bust I'll let you know it's dead.

Better yet, if someone has already found the secret to buying high quality USA made buckles in small quantities at good prices let me know that too!!  Otherwise I think I'll be headed down the Philip path one way or another.

Thanks!

P.S. - Before some helpful soul points me to one of the thousand sources for quality imported hardware: "Thank you," but finding a good US manufacturer is really the point here.  I know there are some very good sources for imported hardware (and I've used several of them,) but it's important to my brand development, and to me personally, to try to keep my suppliers American.  It's a shame that it's gotten so hard, but it is possible.

Edited by eby

Hi, All.

I'm contemplating a belt buckle buy from Philip Machine.  They're about the only USA manufacturer of quality buckles that I can find, but they do have fairly high minimum order requirements.  Trying to gauge interest from all you nice folks on the likelihood I could resell a good share of that order.

I started a thread in the Suppliers forum regarding this at:

I'd sure appreciate all your thoughts, interest, etc. and would like to keep comments and replies in the Suppliers thread linked above so we're all on the same page so to speak.

Thanks!

Unless you are going to use most of the buckles yourself, I don't feel it would be worthwhile to do this.  There are so many off the shelf buckles available, and most will not care where they are made.  Is there something special about the design you want made, aside from where it is made?

Edited by Matt T

What style/type of buckle are you considering.....brass....stainless....nickel plate ?  Size?

I'd be looking at a mix of solid brass and nickel plated brass 1.25" and 1.5" heel bar buckles.  They have both rounded and square patterns at: www.philipmachine.com/solid_brass_buckles.html

Still waiting on a reply from Philip Machine on pricing and samples.

If this went ahead I'd put in an order and then sell off the surplus on my Etsy shop.  Minimal markup to cover shipping, some of my time, etc.  Not looking to get rich, just to make a purchase for my own use pencil out and hopefully help some other smaller makers who want to buy American.

Thanks!

Lekoza, I do understand your points.  It may end up not making sense to do, but I feel like it's worth asking around.  Everyone knows there are lots of imported options, some pretty good.  However, I constantly hear that people want to buy American but don't have the option or availability.  What I want to know is, if US made buckles were available for reasonable prices in small quantities would anyone be interested?

You are correct that many people don't care at all about the source of their products.  That's their prerogative; I'm interested in hearing from people who do care.  I have a hard time asking customers to buy my goods, pay a little more for quality, support my local business, but then myself turn around and use parts from some unknown vendor in China/India/?? that made doorknobs last week and will be making ashtrays next week.  Anyone else feel the same way?

Yes it's easier to just buy the imported stuff that's easy to find, but I'd like to support makers that would like a domestic option.

As for Philip's buckles being special aside from country of origin, I'm honestly not sure yet.  I have a message in to them regarding samples, but nothing in hand yet.  They look like standard high quality brass heel bar buckles in several patterns.  Hopefully I'll get a look at some examples and be able to report back.  This is definitely in the "research" phase right now...

Thanks for the thoughts!

I can supply you the belt buckle, 

gzvunm , Are you now making products IN THE USA ??   I understand pushing your company BUT if you can't give the person what they are looking for it doesn't reflect well on you or your company , just my 2 cents .

eby , let me know what you come up with , I might be interested in some , I try to do 100% made in the USA when possible .

Thanks 

wolfe9, no,we don't make in USA, in china

Greystone and Wolfe,

Thanks for expressing your interest.  I'm still working on getting samples, so nothing new on my end.  The project's still ongoing and I'll update when I actually see some product.

gzvunm, as Wolfe said I think you missed the entire point of this thread.  Nice effort I guess?

Have you tried buckleguy.com?

On 6/13/2016 at 5:55 PM, malabar said:

Have you tried buckleguy.com?

Their stuff is made in China, FYI.

On 6/19/2016 at 8:36 PM, Matt T said:

Their stuff is made in China, FYI.

Many USA brands does own their manufactures in China and they still USA brands ;)

On 3/29/2016 at 8:58 AM, eby said:

I have been looking for a USA manufacturer of belt buckles for some time.  There are a few suppliers out there, but very few and hard to find.

I'm in the process of getting some quotes and samples from Philip Machine and trying to gauge how much interest there might be in reselling a good share of whatever I buy.  I spoke with a gentleman on the phone there today and they typically require a minimum order of around 500 units for solid brass, which can be broken down into multiple finishes, such as brass, nickel plate, antiqued, etc.  I have not gotten a proper quote back yet, but I believe they would be somewhere in the $2 range per buckle.  I would likely add some markup depending on how much shipping turned into and how long I though I'd be sitting on them.  I'm certainly not looking to get rich on this deal, but I do believe in getting paid a little something for taking on the work and the risk...  500 buckles is probably ten years' worth for my operation.  If there's enough interest in other folks buying quality USA-made buckles I would list them on my Etsy store as a regular item.  I'd love to be able to get quality US items on the market to folks that will use them.

So, any thoughts?  Anyone?  I know other folks are interested in finding domestic suppliers, so it seems like this should be doable.  I'm not really interested in trying to do a group buy or form some loose coalition, as those things just seem to stall or fall apart.

If interested take a look at their buckles and see if they might fit your needs.  Let me know if you have any interest and what type/size/finish of buckles would work for you.  I'll post updates as I get firmer costs and feasibility, or if they come through with samples.  I'll also post this in another forum or two where folks might look for this info.  And if it turns into a total bust I'll let you know it's dead.

Better yet, if someone has already found the secret to buying high quality USA made buckles in small quantities at good prices let me know that too!!  Otherwise I think I'll be headed down the Philip path one way or another.

Thanks!

P.S. - Before some helpful soul points me to one of the thousand sources for quality imported hardware: "Thank you," but finding a good US manufacturer is really the point here.  I know there are some very good sources for imported hardware (and I've used several of them,) but it's important to my brand development, and to me personally, to try to keep my suppliers American.  It's a shame that it's gotten so hard, but it is possible.

tried ohitravelbag?

The thing is, all those USA and most non USA based productions are not in trend - their quality still can be good enough,but the design..

On 29/03/2016 at 2:58 PM, eby said:

Thanks!

I am Looking for 1.75"(45mm) buckles that are well finished for my belts. If you can get samples I am wanting around 100 per month. 200 at a time 100 Nkl and 100 polished brass. Let me know if a goer. Brian