dgkfit

Cobra Class 4 bobbin case problem

hello,

thank you all for your help with my past questions.   a few days ago i went and bought a cobra class 4.  i am now leaning how to load the bobbin.  i have watched the al bane video carefully, and done what he said to do.  when i try to pull the thread thru the slot in the bobbin case, it takes EXTREME FORCE to pull it thru the slot and onto the eye that holds the thread to exit the bobbin case.   and even then, the thread is very tight and will not freely feed out.  am i doing something wrong?  or is this a defective bobbin case with the slot to put the thread thru too close together for even #277 thread?    #346 or #415 thread would never go thru it.  steve at  leather machine co has already offered to send me another hook assembly, and i agreed.  he also suggested that i take a tiny screwdriver and try to pry the slot wider.  but i am afraid to do that, afraid i might bend it the wrong way?   if this a defective part or am i doing something wrong?    see attached foto.

thank you all  dale

cobra bobbin pix 1000.jpg

56fb1159e250c_cobrabobbinpix1000.jpg.a79

It's likely a bad part. Keep it for future use with #138 and smaller thread. In an emergency you can use Emory cloth or a file or thin grinding wheel to widen the slot. But, that will probably do more damage than good.

All you should need to do is loosen the tension on the spring.You turn the screw in the pic to the left BUT you need to loosen the little locking screw(in the hole @ the top of your pic) first before you turn the larger one.

Bob, unless I misunderstood the problem, the slot feeding from the opening to the spring is too narrow. I assumed that Steve had him try to loosen the tension spring. I guess I should have asked that first. Maybe the tight spring is crimping the entry slot.