Erystawi

Riding breeches

I was wondering about english type riding breeches, todays breeches comes with a syntetic leather seat, thats hard, stiff and rub too much... I've got some old breeches with real leather full seat, and they are my all time favorites, but the fabric dont live forever.. the leather still lives like it will last a lifetime, but the fabric not. So I was wondering, what type of leather would one use for making a new pair? I guess I could also "transplant" the old leahter to some new breeches. And its really hard to find someone who makes riding breeches with real leather anymore. 

Leather suggestion: deer? Others?

Do you think its possible to dye the breeches leather black? They are now green. I worry my buttom only get black too :D

Here are some things for you to search on Google. Even if the suppliers don't have exactly what you want it will give you some ideas, or if you contact them they might make something for you

Because of Britain's old Imperial connections with India, riding breeches are often known as JODHPURS

So, Search & Surf for

Leather riding breeches

Leather jodhpurs

Motor cycle leathers

Lederhosen

Equestrian magazines - contact them their staff might know a supplier

Edited by zuludog

Prior to modern fabrics, breeches/jodhpurs were made in Cavalry Twill. It is a hard wearing wool based fabric. It is still obtainable, but it may not serve your purpose as well as the modern fabrics?

Beware black dye if the leather is veg tanned. It is notorious for leeching out!:wub:

7 hours ago, zuludog said:

Because of Britain's old Imperial connections with India, riding breeches are often known as JODHPURS

I minor clarification of above.......

Breeches and jodhpurs are different. Breeches end at the calf just below the knee. This is to facilitate use of 'long' or 'top' boots. 

Jodhpurs finish at the ankle and are usually worn with chaps and    ....Jodhpur Boots! 

These real leather breeches are quite expencive, like 200 euro, plus shipping, then norwegian custom fees about half of that... 

So I thought about finding the correct leather (deer or lambskin) and make my own :) just re-use a breeches with fake leahter full-seat, replace the fake with real?

Example picture

ridebukser.jpg

ridebukser.jpg.0f8885eee41798482ad6cdde7

My experience of ladies jodhpurs is rather distant and limited!

The few that I have seen,  I think, would have used 'suede splits' or  thin sheepskin.

If I was younger, it would be a business I could have got into----bespoke of course! :yeah:

Washing will have to be considered. It would be a shame to wreck hours of work with a session in the washing machine. I remember that a washing product came onto the market some years ago that did not ruin mixed leather/fabric products. I would think a good tack shop would stock it.

Thank you all for reply and helping me, I found my "local" leathershop had all I needed :) (lokal = 591 miles)

-theese breeches are quite common in Norway, we all riders got at least 10 of em LOL different styles, colours, matching the ponys equipment and so on. (But still fake leather and now also silicone full seats!) 

Thanks! -Eva from Norway