Beakster

Singer 29K-4 Not sewing .. Help

I want to start off with i'm new to this site and not sure if I'm in the right area for what I'm asking ... So bare my mistakes .. I have a Singer 29-4 shoe patcher and I'm having trouble with it sewing I have bought a new bobbin shuttle and it still won't pick up the thread to make the loop .. I read that depending on were your crank wheel is can change the type and size of needle .. I was unawear of this .. my Patcher is on the end or right side ..  So i need help trying to resolve this .. 

I also have a adler 30-1 with the same issues ...Not sewing right .. I'm selling that one ..

Thanks Members ... Cheers 

What needle system are you using? Have you insert the needle correctly? Have you threaded the machines correctly? Do you have manuals for either machine?

If the shuttle is too loose you probably have to adjust the small spring on the shuttle carrier a little bit. The spring should barely touch the shuttle and push it slightly against the side of the gear box. You can also move the needle holder a bit to the right maybe that will help picking up the thread. Loosen the screw above the needle screw and try to move the needle holder a bit to the right. If it will not move it is probably gummed up so you have to remove the holder and clean it an then try again.

Some detailed pictures would probably help to find out what is going on.

Edited by Constabulary

Hi,

the position of the handwheel does not have any influence on the needle size. But the stitching plates usually have two holes of different diameter, and you have to chose the right hole that is suitable to your needle-thread-combination. The needleholder can slide to adjust the distance of eye to hook. With a new shuttle this probably needs adjusting. Adler and Singer needleholders can be interchanged on the patchers, so you might try if you can find a working combination.

The needle shoud be inserted with the long groove showing to the left and the small scarf ponting to the hook. This goes for both of your patchers.

Greets

Ralf C.

Thanks Guys for the quick replys .. I do have the manuals showing me .. so the needle in correctly and is threaded right .. but thanks for the extra tips on other things that i may have over looked or isn't mention in the manual or don't know .. 

Thanks .. 

The position the handwheel is mounted in DOES make a difference in terms of the direction of rotation....you turn it CCW when its mounted on the end shaft, but *clockwise* if mounted on the side. It won't sew for sure if its turning backwards.

-DC

I have come to my wits end with this machine and have come to the time that I'm best just to sell it the continue putting more time and money into something I have no knowledge in fixing.. I have listed it on this site and also ebay for $500.00US for the machine only ..If you are interested send me a PM... Thanks007.JPG

007.thumb.JPG.6e461010470cf71de3c715b38f

post some more detailed pictures of your machine. Sometimes parts are wrong assembled (especially on the back side). I just have a very similar machine on my bench (a 29K3) which I have stripped down to the last pin.

ok..006.JPG

006.thumb.JPG.b5d1560c6b09264060a3fe790a

bobbin

It looks to me you are one tooth to far on the fitrst (left) gear. You have to start at the first tooth. At both.

Not an expert, but a friend of mine had a 29k1. He changed the gears. We put it in the way I explained.

Can you send me a picture ..

I'm sorry. Don't have a picture. 

Does these arrows make sense?

20160404_003834.png

20160404_003834.png.474d9d71f50bac093c8d

Yes .. I set it up that way l think you are describing .. but still won't sew..011.JPG

011.thumb.JPG.33948fb902d6ee306a012116bc

That was one step. Please post more pictures or maybe a Video. There are several reason why a machine will not sew. Sometimes it is just a small detail.

How is the shuttle threaded? Are you sure you are using the right needle?

Edited by Constabulary

Did these machines ever working correctly for you, or did you just acquire them?

My 29-4 was working fine, and then I broke a needle. I had a pack of new Organ 29x3 needles. Out of desperation, I ground about 1/16 or more off the dull end of one and put it back in...low and behold it works great!  My symptoms were that the thread would get all balled up under the plate....not sure that's what you have going on, but maybe worth a try.

John