Black Dogg

Finally got my shop set up!

I've been waiting for three years for this!

When I had to move to my new apartment I didn't have enough room to set up my worktables, so everything has been in boxes for the past three years. The cabin needed a floor and some windows before I could start thinking of unpacking. I made a couple of little things, but it was a pain to have to pack everything up at the end of each day and haul it out again the next time.

Well, no more of that! I built a new workbench for stamping and have my large cutting table all set up, too. Still need some shelves to store all the books, dyes, hardware & c. but it is working out really nice. Of course, I'll have to move everything one more time when I cover the walls but that's minor.

Also made two card wallets to be donated to the local animal shelter's spring auction (they are funded only with donations and are a great little shelter); they are the "inaugural pieces" so to speak  :). And yes, the reversed cat stamp and paw print are done on purpose ;). My sewing shows that I haven't had much practice lately, but hopefully that'll change now :banana:!

I guess you can say I'm happy :cheers:.

Black Dogg

IMG_0658 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0659 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0664 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0665 (800x600).jpg

56fc1467c3d79_IMG_0658(800x600).jpg.45e2

56fc146b1ae89_IMG_0659(800x600).jpg.4ef2

56fc146e2858d_IMG_0664(800x600).jpg.f796

56fc1472613f6_IMG_0665(800x600).jpg.6199

Hello

I really love the rustic look, that would really inspired me,with all those big windows, and nature around.

well done my friend.

I agree with Rock, that is a great space with lots of  natural light.  Thanks for sharing with us.

Damn it now I have work room envy!!!! Love the sewing machines IF I ever get one (as I do everything by hand ) that is the kind of sewing machine I want something that is powered by human not electricity.

Edited by Windrider30

Really nice...looking good!!!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you all for the compliments!

The rustic look comes from the whole cabin being built by hand with no power tools. I've been at it for five years now and am anticipating to have it fully done in another year or so. It is a timberframe with half loft and totally off-grid, hence the large windows. At this time I have no power there at all (my radio runs off a car battery; need tunes you know ;)), but I will probably get one solar panel for some lights sometime in the future.

Windrider, I know exactly what you're talking about! I rarely use a machine to do my sewing as the saddle stitch is so much more durable and I think just looks better. These two came across the pond with me and are well over a hundred years old. The big one is a Duerkopp Class 18-1 patcher (read more about her here: http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/61688-duerkopp-patcher/) that I have cleaned up and fully running again. The small one is for fabric only and is a Haid & Neu Excella; all I could ever find out about it was that they were made by a small German manufacturer. It sews OK but misses stitches occasionally. I am mostly fascinated by the mechanics of these old machines and how everything is built to last.

Black Dogg 

Geez we're practically neighbors, I'm in the Catskill Mtns. myself.  It's a beautiful area and a great place to build a cabin.  The political climate on the other hand is a whole other story.  Cabin looks great, should be able to get plenty of work done now.  The timber frame cabin idea appeals to me a lot, I'd love to build one some day.

Stu

It is indeed a beautiful place, Stu. As for the political climate, I go by the phrase "it's only illegal if you get caught"  :gun:.

Building a timberframe is not as hard as it sounds; I had no prior building experience (save for a dog house) and the inspector has been impressed with my work, so I guess I'm doing alright.

Black Dogg

Congrats Mr. you have a beautiful place and hope to see more of your work now :)

Very envious of your home and especially the workshop!  I'd still lose anything I put down for "just a second" but at least it would be lost amongst all the leatherworking stuff. ;)

Very Nice Shop! You would probably never get me out of there!!

Windows wha?  great views!

hey that's a great shop setup. thanks for sharing the pic

nice work there to

Floyd

Let there be light. And plenty of it. Looks great.

Sitting in a messy, dark room of ten square meters, looking at the window of a nosy neighbour and then redirecting my gaze at the pics of your shop  I'm JEALOUS!
Very nice basket stamping on the wallets!

Edited by LederRudi

Real Nice! inspiring place ya got there!!

Nice shop, and I love the stitching on the wallet....what size/kind of thread are you using? and are you using a stitching chisel or a pricking iron? Thank you!

Thank you all for the nice comments!

thekid77: This is the thread I'm using: http://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=43_60_62&product_id=963 . I've been using it for about ten years and like it; I'm going to give Tiger thread a try sometime soon as that seems to be more abrasion resistant. I'm using neither chisel nor iron for my stitching. I taught myself using Al Stohlman's book and only use an overstitch wheel to mark my line before sewing with the saddler's stitch. Since coming across Mr. Armitage's videos I've found that, to get the angled look, I can't groove the line as that flattens out the stitches. That's one reason why I want to see about Tiger thread. 

cseeger: Don't worry, it won't stay that neat forever :lol:, although I like it fairly orderly; I can't stand searching for tools when I'm in the middle of a project.

Black Dogg

1 hour ago, Black Dogg said:

I'm going to give Tiger thread a try sometime soon as that seems to be more abrasion resistant.

Here's a "thread" you might be interested in.  

Your shop looks terrific.  The only thing that could possibly be better is if you could drive your truck into it.......well that and maybe a living area and full service bar.......and perhaps a makeshift kitchen with a wood fired pizza oven and an infrared steak grill......and extra wide permitter aisles so you could  roller skate around the whole thing whenever you felt like it.  

But, ya know, chasing that last 1%?  I tell ya, you never get there.   I wish I would have stopped right after the full service bar.  

That's one hell of a nice shop !  Huge Windows, Great views, not one, but Two Sewing machines, Even a Stitching Horse, with a nice Work Table and Bench. Rustic only describes the serenity you must experience while working in this super great place ?  

Yes, Envy would be a correct description for me too ! Congratulations !  ---   Wild Bill46

Wild Bill: It is a serene place indeed: My closest neighbor is a quarter mile away. The best time are the mornings in spring and summer when there's nothing but birds to hear.

cseeger: Since the cabin is heated with a wood stove and the kitchen and living room are about 10 feet away that would satisfy three of your requirements, I suppose :lol:. I don't think rollerskating would work on my plank floor :bike:.

Black Dogg

Congratulations on the new shop, Black Dogg, It looks like a dream come true. I also love all the natural light and rustic feel. If I had a setup like yours, I don't think I'd want to leave it much.

I have quite a lot of tools and supplies for a newbie, working out of a very small space, and hope to set up a small shop sometime in the next year. I set my hobby aside for a few years also, because I had to put everything away and take it all back out again to do any work at all. It was such  pain, I didn't touch a project for about 3 years. This time it's all staying out no matter what.  

Congrats again, and here's to many hours of enjoyment working in your new space. :thumbsup:

Bob 

Very nice but where's the beer 'fridge?

Anyway, my work shop's in the corner of my living room.

Gotta give my wife credit, she helped me set it up. 

I do have some machines set up in our garage for sanding edges.

leatherplace_zpsxse4ihem.jpg