Cics

Help me choose the best leather please!

Hi folks! I've introduced myself minutes ago... I recently started a leather working course here in a tannery in Sydney... I'm learning a lot of things, the problem is that they are really focused on working with kangaroo leather, while I don't think it's the best choice for my projects. So, first things first, I want to create 1 sleeve case for my laptop and 2 briefcases, one soft - one hard.

iPad Pro/Laptop sleeve case
I want it to be soft & supple, without grainy appearance, and the guy at the course suggested me to use sheepskin. I've read on the internet that sheepskin is very very delicate and prone to scratch though, so I don't think it's the best option since I want it to last.... What about calfskin? Any other suggestion?

Soft briefcase (something like this: http://bit.ly/1MFu1Ra)
Also in this case I would chose calfskin. The only thing is that it could be exposed to water on rainy days so I'm not sure which are the options here:
I would choose veg tanned calfskin, but I know it's not really water resistant. Is there a way to make it water repellent? Other way to go is chrome tanned calfskin, but I've read it's prone to cracking over time. Is that true? Are there any other options to chose? I'm looking for a leather that is fairly soft, not too grainy like cowhides, and decently water resistant. Maybe deerskin?

Hard briefcase
Similar to the soft one, but in this case will be.. well, hard :yeah:
I did some research on the internet and found that most of top producers (Montblanc, Serapian) use saffiano leather... seems to be hard wearing but I'm not sure about the quality. What do you suggest?

I also have a lot of questions around lining (fabric vs suede), hardware, etc and I'll post them in the next days... I hope to find some help!

Thanks!!

Cics, I have been dealing with the Tannery you are doing your basic leatherwork course with for well over 30 years and am surprised at your comments about them focusing on kangaroo leather. From my experience the roo skins are mainly used for thonging and the quality of their product is excellent. I have been making objects out of leather for close on 50 years and at one stage ran a leatherwork supply shop on the Central Coast. The Instructor on your course would have explained the pros and cons of the various types of leather during the course. I mainly use veg tanned double shoulders from 1 - 1.5mm to 4.00mm. The quality is excellent. If you use Birdsall's Antique and apply a finish like Leather Lac you can minimise the affect of water damage.  Check out my website at Myleatherwork.com and you will see some examples.

Best of luck with your course,

Regards,

TapTapTap

On 4/1/2016 at 1:45 PM, TapTapTap said:

Cics, I have been dealing with the Tannery you are doing your basic leatherwork course with for well over 30 years and am surprised at your comments about them focusing on kangaroo leather. From my experience the roo skins are mainly used for thonging and the quality of their product is excellent. I have been making objects out of leather for close on 50 years and at one stage ran a leatherwork supply shop on the Central Coast. The Instructor on your course would have explained the pros and cons of the various types of leather during the course. I mainly use veg tanned double shoulders from 1 - 1.5mm to 4.00mm. The quality is excellent. If you use Birdsall's Antique and apply a finish like Leather Lac you can minimise the affect of water damage.  Check out my website at Myleatherwork.com and you will see some examples.

Best of luck with your course,

Regards,

TapTapTap

Thank you TapTapTap. I didn't want to intend they focus only on that kind of leather, it's just been a feeling I had.

Thanks for your suggestions, I checked your website, very beautiful products