Artificial Intelligence

Are expensive whet stones worth it?

11 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

LOl kinda ironic statement since people have been working leather since the stone age. I sharpen my disposables too No need wasting the earths valuable resources is my outlook. But to each his own is my motto. I use so many different cutting tools that its a necessity kinda like washing dishes imo just hum a tune while doing it and its over before you know it.

I do a lot of woodworking and I have a permanent backlog of chisels, lathe tools, marking knives, blades, routers bits, you name it, all needing sharpening.  That's a lot humming. 

You can't cut wood with disposable blades, but you can cut leather, and I really don't know why I'd miss that opportunity.  

Edited by Spyros

I have 2 round knives would not be without them one is four years old never been near a stone also have a single head knife don't know what make it is cuts as well as the day i got 25 years ago cost £13, think i would have spent more on throw away blades in that time once you get to know how to use one you will know why they are the go to knife for most saddlers/leather workers.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

On 7/23/2020 at 7:10 AM, Spyros said:

I do a lot of woodworking and I have a permanent backlog of chisels, lathe tools, marking knives, blades, routers bits, you name it, all needing sharpening.  That's a lot humming. 

You can't cut wood with disposable blades, but you can cut leather, and I really don't know why I'd miss that opportunity.  

dull chisels ? omg lol yer scaring me now. at least get a 1500 grit belt for your belt sander then you can let it do the humming.

Edited by chuck123wapati

I have a blade that is over 65 years old that i know of, still cuts leather like butter

so does a box cutter :)

I have a set of X-acto knives that are 25 years old never had to change a blade they are as sharp as the day i got them would you like to know the reason why ?

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

42 minutes ago, jcuk said:

I have a set of X-acto knives that are 25 years old never had to change a blade they are as sharp as the day i got them would you like to know the reason why ?

JCUK

I'll bet sharpen em lol. I use the inner tube out of an old high pressure sodium lightbulb for my disposable blades and as a steel for pocket knives.

No in the 25 years i have had them must have only used them 25 times.

Use my round knife for most things for some lighter leathers i use a clicker knife and yes i find them better than X-acto knives as well.

The only thing i use my Stanley knife ( box cutter ) is to cut old stitches out for repairs.

JCUK

What usually happens to me when I have too many things that need sharpening I put some time aside, usually a Sunday morning.  I go out in the shed, lay down everything on my bench, stones and strops and irons, then I stand there looking at it all for a minute and then I leave it all out there for another month and keep on using whatever's left that is still somewhat sharp.    It's a big pile, it never ends...  And I'm anal with it too, if I start sharpening something I don't stop until it cuts hairs.  And mind you that is after I am finished being anal about the flatness and cleanliness of my stones.  I know exactly what is going to happen with a round knife, I'll be there sitting there tuning it for an hour and the pile is not gonna get any smaller.

Like I said, I see disposable blades as an opportunity.

Edited by Spyros

I have a routine with my round knife,  before i use it i give it a good strop and at the end of the day no matter if i have cut one strap or a hundred i will strop it again.

With any of my cutting tools i strop them before i use them, very rarely sharpen anything on a stone apart from my splitter blade which i sharpen on a stone and strop and polish when ever i feel it not cutting how i know it should. Tools like a Skirt shave/French edger really do need to be sharp to use at best they will mess up your work if dull at worse might mess up the user. 

JCUK

I use a combination of disposable and fixed blades.  Whichever better suits the task and way that I'm working at the time.  I do find that disposables can usually be made better from the box with a few passes on a fine stone and some stropping, tho.  Many of them have visible scratches from factory sharpening, and work much better with just a little work.  

I don't use expensive stones, just a couple of two-sided water stones mostly - I want to say about $50 or so for both of them.  

I also have a worksharp guided sharpening system that I used initially as I was learning to sharpen it was a big help in learning how to control the angle.  I still use it from time to time when a blade is damaged, as the coarse diamond plate makes quick work of it!

- Bill