Rannoch

Latigo Harness & Bridle

What are the differences between these three kinds of leather?  

I make personal objects like wallets and bags, and until discovering Latigo I just went to Tandy to pick out hides that seem to best suit my needs.  While researching my last order with Hide House this question began to nag me, and the thought occurred to me that I should order some of the bridle and harness hides they sell just to see what they are like.  But that's a lot of money for R&D if I can't use the hide.

Another question: is the California latigo they sell at Hide House different from other latigo?

I'm grateful for any insight the brain trust here can give me. 

Edited by Rannoch
sloppiness

Not the answer you want probably - but every hide is different :)

Seriously.  Different amounts of oils, dyes, time in barrel etc...the bridle leather conditioned / loaded with after a deeper dying process than normal.  The whole process is done to to quality hides.  The leather is supposed to be more supple than other types.  One of the reasons you pay that much is that it's supposed to be comfortable next to the skin of the horse.  

There is a huge variation in pricing by which tannery you goto & they are definitely not all even in quality.

Call the hidehouse guys up & chat them up - then ask about samples or samplepacks.  They are pretty awesome.

Thanks SOS.  

Like SOS says, there is a lot of difference between hides, and especially between tanneries.  Typically, EB tends to be a more dense, firmer leather due to the processing. The reason behind it is that denser leather lasts longer than loose fibered leather. EB varies from quite waxy on the surface to quite dry on the surface. Harness leather tends to more oily and waxy than EB, but again lots of difference between tanneries, and types of leather from the same tannery. For example, Wickett and Craig offers at least 3 types of Harness leather. Their regular Harness is quite dry on the surface, with a beautiful glossy finish. It works great for work that needs to be cased up during the building process. They offer a "Work Harness" selection. This leather is firmer and very waxy/oily. It is not at all suitable for personal leather goods or show harness. There is a LOT of difference between the two. Hermann Oak offers at least a couple different kinds of harness, again with a marked difference between the types.

The reason these leathers cost more is the extra time and materials used in the processing, and the hides must be big hides, relatively free of defects front and back.

Latigo probably varies more than any other type of leather. I can't comment on the California Latigo, as I don't remember having bought any, although I may have at some point  I should try some, as it seems like I have more trouble finding a latigo I like than other leathers.

Visit with the salesperson about the leather, and definitely ask for swatches. Most places are good about sending out samples of their leather. 

Best of luck to you!