So Windrider's posts on making boxes lit a fire under me, since they coincided with me fiddling around with something at work.  When cutting moulding on a miter saw, you end up with triangle shapes.  If you get four of them and put them back to back, the rabbet of the moulding ends up pointed out and makes a snazzy lid!  This is my first attempt, I happened to have some burgundy latigo scrap and one of the lids that went nice with that color, so I went at it.  I'm frankly astounded that it turned out as well as it did, since I completely guessed at the height/angle of the curve for the sides.  I cut the edges at an angle (which was a challenge) and saddle stitched them together, then burnished all the edges.  The lid pops right in but not so snug that it's a pain to get on and off.  Size is 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" by 2" tall.

GoldMiterLeatherBoxClosed.jpgGoldMiterLeatherBoxOpen.jpgGoldMiterLeatherBoxBottom.jpg

GoldMiterLeatherBoxClosed.jpg.8254e1e8c9

GoldMiterLeatherBoxOpen.jpg.5dca2477ad4d

GoldMiterLeatherBoxBottom.jpg.d4471f7fff

Edited by Grey Drakkon

That is really neat,  nice work!

rick

I am glad I can help light a fire under someone! I really like that lid, oh and the edges of the boxes that I have done are just slicked I did not cut them at an angle the stitching pulls them intogether rather nicely.