BOB BRENNER

Weaver Leather Supply

Weaver's new policy is really unfortunate. I do not see this as a wholesale/retail issue, but rather an exclusivity issue. They seem to be saying, "You must buy primarily from us". I was using them mostly for chemicals and some tools. I will probably be a few hundred shy of their new minimum. I am fortunate to live just a few minutes from Garlin Neumann Leather. They let me go through their wearhouse and hand pick whatever I need, so I buy 90% of my leather there. I am not paying retail at Weaver, so I guess I will be going elsewhere. That is really too bad, because they have a lot of stuff. Now I won't be throwing in a few of this and a few of that to try things out.

On 4/6/2016 at 11:42 AM, LilRay said:

They're not looking to lose any accounts,  they're banking on forcing you to pay retail and you buying from them anyway.

and that is why they will lose accounts.  One little recession and they'll be begging for that wholesale business. 

I haven't ordered a single thing from weaver in over 10 years, They lost me a long time ago.
 I've been doing leather work full time for 25 years and have found a lot of wholesalers out there who know how to treat their customers.
 As far as I'm concerned weaver could fall of the face of the earth the day they bought out Mast.

I hadn't ordered from them until within the last year.  Just a couple of HO sides, see how the service was.  I ordered top of the line.  The hides I got were pathetic.  I'm not debating it -- not ordering anywhere that would even have that in the "A" pile.  Weaver just one more crossed off the list of suppliers-- I haven't been back.

Unfortunately Weaver does not have a "Top-of-the-line A pile".  They only carry TR leather or Economy.  Their Hermann Oak is only TR.  I like their service, tools, hardware, and other supplies, but for leather I WILL shop else where.

Weaver sucks, I ordered a big order, a lot of belt strips, half were fluffy belly strips. Next time I went to order it came to about $150 and they said because I didn't order for a year I was a new customer and had to order the $200 minimum again, no customer service, then I called Ohio travel bag and felt like I was talking to a an old friend. And, they have so honored us pesents by offering to let us buy retail now, at like 2 or 3 times the cost of any other retail seller. Too bad because I was initially excited to do business with them, but sure don't appreciate a business making me feel like they are doing me a grand favor to accept my money.

Hi am from New Zealand and use weaver for mainly the Jeremiah Watt horseshoe brand hardware for building saddles and tack. I wouldn't use anywhere the $1200 a year. Freight is a big cost for me. Who would you recommend for purchasing this from?

cloehorse  the only other place I know to buy Jeremiah Watt tools is from his website. http://www.ranch2arena.com/home.html

The website is a little difficult to navigate, but his tools (except for the quick change edger) sell for the same price as the wholesale price from Weaver. I'm not sure about the hardware, but I did see that he gives bulk discounts

Hi Bondo,

Same thing happened to me, They told me the order was shipped already and had to ship separate. I called back the same day a few hours after I placed the first order.

Glad I found this thread.  Have a $2,500 order sitting on the dash of my truck.  I was taking it to my Amish buddy harness maker as he would order it at his wholesale price.  Now I'll talk it over with him and we'll see where to go next.  I know he's not happy with the leather from Weaver.  W&C has treated me well in the past.  Harness hardware......  ideas?  Both full size and Haflinger harness.

Wahlsall, in Arizona, or Panhandle Leather in Amarillo TX.   Walsall used to be cheaper than Weaver.  $50.00  order or more last time I ordered.  don't know if they have it but that is where I would try first.

Tried both for 'combination snap', or '1616 snap' and came up empty.  That's a pretty specific draft horse snap I was hoping to find.  BBH has it as do a few others.  Guess I was looking for a 'Weaver' replacement, one stop shop.  I don't mind shopping around.  As much as I use it's probably just best to buy from my Amish buddy, at his cost.  He and I can split leather purchases, twenty sides at a time or so.

Walsalls doesn't have harness hardware. Try Beilers, Chupp Bros, even N & A. There IS NOT another one stop shop like Weaver that I know of.  Just out of curiosity, MikeRock, with a $2500 order, why wouldn't you just order from Weaver anyway? You'll get pretty decent prices on everything with that amount. And if you're ordering twenty sides, you're at 4 times the required minimum for harness leather at Hermann Oak.  If I have a large harness hardware order, I'll usually order from one of the suppliers I mentioned, but if I have a mixed order, I'll order from Weaver. They have a few things that the others don't. And while Weaver's prices are typically higher, every once in awhile they are cheaper on a specific item, so even though my other supplier may carry that specific item, I'll order a quantity from Weaver when I'm ordering.

$200 minimum? I set up my account, was told $500 first order, I thanked them kindly and called someone else. Another part of my business a vendor did that to me, I called the next one and pay a few cents more per piece, but they said $1 minimum order and wound up getting the thousands a month instead.  I order leather from W&C directly, same reason, called and asked if they'd sell me a single side; not only did they, we got to chatting about deals and specials and whatnot, wound up tripling my order on the first call.  I understand hobby vs pro, but if they require a resale/FEIN then it IS a business and should be treated as such. Minimums tell me they don't care enough about the small guy to help him get to be a big guy.  We do shirts as part of our business, I'll do 1 or 1000, no setup fees, etc.  I lose a bit every once in a while, but I've done a $15 job that turned into a $2k job because I said no minimum when asked.

I don't have a problem with "minimums" existing.  But I don't see the point of paying minimums at retail level.  

No matter - I dont shop down that way anyway.  Ordered a couple of sides to 'test the water". What I got didn't look "so" bad on the grain.  But the underside of one was discolored and clearly received some treatment, and the underside of the other had "bark" marks across every square inch.  See it and feel it... like that goofy grate they put on the highway where there's a stop coming up.  Couldn't swear it was from a feed mechanism, or perhaps a blade bouncing.  WHY would you send out something like that?  So, question for Jeff is...

• Do I want to do business where they think this is 'okay"?  No.
  • Do I want to do business where they don't think it's 'okay', but think I won't know, or won't care?  No.
  • No third question, really ...

I could have returned it, I suppose.  But I'm not really into 'mail tag', so ...

Just found this thread.  I have had an account with Weaver since late 1988, this year would have been 30 years.  I never received a letter and only found out about the change in policy last year (2017) when calling to place an order.  I was told my account had been suspended since I had not met their minimum during 2016.  Over the past dozen or so years, I have mainly ordered thread, buckle hardware and some tools here and there.  Last August, I was informed that I needed to place an opening order for $500 or more and needed to meet the $1,200 minimum by the end of the year in order for them to maintain my account.  I don't consider my shop a small operation, since we average consuming 25-30 backs of bridle leather per month,  just don't order large quantities from Weaver.  We mostly order direct from Hermann Oak, Horween, and Wickett & Craig.  We buy any dye or Fiebings products from Beiler's since if they do not stock what we need, Fiebings will drop ship for them and shipping is cheaper than Weaver.  Since we make a specialty product, military type rifle slings, WWI and WWII reproduction goods, we had to begin manufacturing our own hardware just to stay in business, since our U.S. supplier discontinued the parts we use several years ago.  We use Weaver's nylon and polyester thread since it is made in the USA and gives very few problems in our Campbell/Randall machines.  Guess I will have to search for USA mfg thread once our stock gets low.  Everything that goes into our military goods is made in the USA, right down to the last stitch.  Over the years, I have bought two Adler sewing machines, a Randall 12" strap cutter, a Weaver foot riveter w/hopper feed, and various tools as well as contracting Weaver to do some custom piece work in the past.  I just think it is sad that Weaver made the decision to cut off many customers who have been with them for years.  

Regards,

Richard

Yes I Got the same letter and what a shame^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On 4/4/2016 at 4:39 PM, BOB BRENNER said:

Got an interesting letter from Weaver today.  As of April 1, 2016 if your do not buy $1,200.00 in 2016 you will lose your wholesale account.  You will be able to buy at retail or you can buy a wholesale membership for $200.00 that is non-refundable. Can you say super Tandy?

Tandy doesn't charge for a wholesale account if you are a manufacturer of leather goods.

Edited by DV8DUG

Its been almost two years since the last post on this topic.  Anyone gone back to Weaver since then, paying their $200 preferred customer membership fee if you order less than $1200 per year?  It galls me just about as much as a big box grocery store asking at check-out "Are you one of our preferred customers?" in order to get a discount.  Anytime that happens, I just say apparently not, leave the groceries on the counter and walk out the door.  It still frost me that I had an open account, net 30, for 28 years + with Weaver and they implement this policy.  That's about as bad as the local hardware, who you've been buying bulk seed and fertilizer from for 30 years, saying "You didn't buy our minimum quantity last year so we can't sell to you at a discount; however, you can purchase our $200 Friends & Family Membership and we will be happy to extend to you the discount".

I guess you could say I'm a disgruntled 28 year former Weaver customer, but I used to be very gruntled with Weaver.

On a side note:  Anything I use to buy from Weaver, I have been purchasing from Beiler's Manufacturing & Supply,  Ronks, PA  (717) 768-0174.  Great folks to deal with.  

Also, Quarts of Barge All-Purpose Cement can be had, currently delivered through ebay or Amazon Prime (including shipping) cheaper than Weaver.

An old Gunny who's still disgruntled.

RT

@gunny5821 I called to get Weaver’s catalog but by the time the girl on the phone got done telling me what I could Not get as a hobbiest and showing absolutely no interest in gaining me as a customer I told her to keep her catalog. I have had good luck with Montana Leather and Springfield Leather. I have used Tandy for in person buys but my last several Tandy visits the leather quality was way down. 

Todd

2 minutes ago, Hildebrand said:

@gunny5821 I called to get Weaver’s catalog but by the time the girl on the phone got done telling me what I could Not get as a hobbiest and showing absolutely no interest in gaining me as a customer I told her to keep her catalog. I have had good luck with Montana Leather and Springfield Leather. I have used Tandy for in person buys but my last several Tandy visits the leather quality was way down. 

Todd

I know what you mean.  I can't tell you how many times I have made it to the Weaver auction over the past 30 years, both buying and selling equipment and hardware. I still have several pieces of equipment in the shop I have to look at everyday that is emblazoned "Weaver" in the cast metal.  It had just got to the point that the last several years I hadn't bought that much from Weaver.  Since we began manufacturing our own hardware, they really didn't have anything in the way of leather we could use, especially since we buy a custom tannage direct from Hermann Oak, and we buy a lot.  Having gone to dozens of auctions, I felt I knew Paul, Vernon, and Jim Weaver pretty well, having met them so many times, even having Weaver make some custom contract parts for the better part of a year.  It really all changed in about 2008, when the Weavers sold out to a big conglomerate Capital Partners, a small Greenwich, Conn., private equity firm  https://www.the-daily-record.com/article/20081104/news/311049566, its not a family owned business anymore, so I can't really fault the Weavers.  Its just like when BAE Systems bought out Bianchi International (Bianchi Gunleather), they reduced the quantity/number of holsters and belts that Bianchi was making and now only make a few different styles.  BAE did the same thing with Safariland, and has since sold Safariland to another group.  Its almost to the point if you want it made in the USA, by Golly, you have to do it yourself.  Well, I'm off my soap box and hope I haven't ticked too many folks off, it  just rubs me a little raw every time I need to buy something that I used to buy from Weaver.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:36 PM, Hildebrand said:

Todd

Todd, glad to hear that we have treated you well. Lucky for us we still are family owned!

While I can't say we haven't said things to run customers off...I can say we do our best to educate our employees about leather working and encourage them into crafting things. Kevin and Rusty both take phone calls, so if you happen to call in and don't feel like you got the right answer ask for one of them!

23 minutes ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

Todd, glad to hear that we have treated you well. Lucky for us we still are family owned!

While I can't say we haven't said things to run customers off...I can say we do our best to educate our employees about leather working and encourage them into crafting things. Kevin and Rusty both take phone calls, so if you happen to call in and don't feel like you got the right answer ask for one of them!

I called to get Weaver’s catalog but by the time the girl on the phone got done telling me what I could Not get as a hobbiest and showing absolutely no interest in gaining me as a customer I told her to keep her catalog.   Im not Sure if Tony made a Typo or not but what Todd typed was he wasnt Treated well and it Looks like a Salesman Spun it around. 

All my Weaver catalog does for me now is show what parts are out there, somewhere.  I got the same reception as others, disdain would be too good a word.  We have an Amish harness maker within half an hour, so use his supply chain.  He doesn't charge any more than his cost and freight and sometimes shows us the invoice to make sure we get the right stuff.  So, to Weaver, suck it..... 

God bless,

Mike

11 minutes ago, wayner said:

I called to get Weaver’s catalog but by the time the girl on the phone got done telling me what I could Not get as a hobbiest and showing absolutely no interest in gaining me as a customer I told her to keep her catalog.   Im not Sure if Tony made a Typo or not but what Todd typed was he wasnt Treated well and it Looks like a Salesman Spun it around. 

You need to read it again. 

Hildebrand called Weaver leather and was not happy. He ended the entry with "I have had good luck with Montana Leather and Springfield Leather."

Tony is from Springfield leather with whom Hildebrand is happy. There was no salesman spinning anything around.