Artificial Intelligence

0.5 tonne press okay for stamping?

A 1 tonne press from Axminster, a tool company, was recommended to me for stamping veg tanned leather (with some minor modifications). The 1 tonne press has been out of stock for ages and probably won't be restocked any time soon. I wanted to ask, would the 0.5 tonne press work just as well for what I intend to use it for? Or should I look elsewhere. It's so cheap, costing £40 ish that I'm keen to buy it if it'll do the job. 

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

A half ton works fine. A one ton works betters.  My only modification might be to lengthen the handle for a little more leverage and pressure.

I forgot to add I would use it for things like press studs/snaps etc. Would it still work fine? 

My one ton press sets grommets with hardly any effort, so yours should be just fine. 

My workspace is too bouncy for setting snaps/rivets/grommets so I got the one-ton arbor press and I turned out 97 grommets with no real effort at all. Squashed the first one a bit too much and the bag was missing two of the washers so I got 97 out of 100 with good results. I think with snaps and rivets using hand tools I am at about 40% at the moment. I put off a lot of my projects until I got the press.

Can anyone recommend a good arbor press brand other than axminster? I am keen to get a 1 tonne one but don't fancy waiting any longer for axminster to restock.

Can anyone recommend a good arbor press brand other than axminster? I am keen to get a 1 tonne one but don't fancy waiting any longer for axminster to restock.

Otherwise I'll stick with the half tonne version because by the sounds of it it's satisfactory if not ideal. 

edit: they all look pretty similar so I'll just get whatever is cheapest. 

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

ebay uk

I have a 1/2 tonne press I bought from machine mart.   Does the job for me, and up until I treated mysef to a 'proper' stud setter thingy, it did all my rivets and studs too, no problem.  You probibly use a bit more grunt to get there though.

I agree that the handle could do with being about 2" longer.