BillinOK

Stitching problem with knot at turns

I don't know if I have developed a bad habit or what, but this has been going on for sometime now.  Every time I come to a corner or sharp turn this is what happens.  My machine is a Tippman Aerostitch, 207 thread, and a 200 diamond needle.  If I'm on a straight line it does ok....sometimes the knot depth varies though and it seems there is nothing I can do to stop that (?). 

I know I must be pulling or doing something wrong.

Sewing (450 x 600).jpg

5703e20b56d56_Sewing(450x600).jpg.3472ee

I'm a newbie on sewing machines, so I really don't have any business giving technical advice but I recently bought a Cowboy CB4500 and while I was playing with the tensions and whatnot, the same thing happened to me on a sharp turn. What I did, and this might only be for my machine, not sure if it would work on yours. I loosened up my top thread tension and it went away. I also noticed that the knots stay at the middle of the leather. It depends on the thickness of the leather though so when I have different thickness leathers I have to adjust accordingly. Looser for thinner leather and tighter for thicker ones. I looked up Tippman Aerostitch and saw two thread tensions on top, was thinking that maybe one of those adjust the tension on the top thread?

I'm sure some of the resident pro's will chime in here. 

Jomar

Part of the problem is that the needle is one size too big for #207 thread. The recommended best size is #24/180, which pokes a smaller hole that provides the correct resistance for the knots. The take-up and tensioning systems in the 441 machines is not foolproof or totally perfect. The position of the knots can vary with changes in the bobbin tension, or in how the thread unwinds from the spool. Even fluctuations in the check spring tension can change the height of the knots.

Troubleshoot this by checking the entire thread path. Then make sure the bobbin gives up its thread smoothly, without too little or too much tension. Change to a #24 needle, then balance the knots on the straightaways with the upper tensioner. Watch the check spring as the take-up lever moves up and down. It should keep the top thread taut until the needle just penetrates the top layer of leather. Finally, give the machine a full stroke on the hand lever. Partial stroking is a known cause of sewing problems in the Boss sewing machine.

Thanks guys.  

Wiz, I'll go back to #180 needles and try that.