arizonafox

Head knife for small palms

I've decided its time for me to get a head knife. I want a really good one that will work well and last, not make me trade in for another one down the line.  I've heard that size is really important. I have lady's hand, and I don't want to order one off the internet that's too big.

Look up Leather Wranglers.  Call and talk to Paul or Rosa, they will help you.  His knives are some of the best.

Bill Buchman made knives with small handles on request; he got a lot of requests.  Buchman knives don't come up for sale often but are excellent if you can find them.  You could buy an Osborne 70 or 71 knife and have a knifemaker cut the handle down for you, usually it is just a matter of taking up to and inch off the butt of the handle.  If you palm the knife, make sure the handle is long enough to keep the tips of your fingers in back of the edge.

Art

Post a request on this forum, under 'Handmade and Custom'. Although it says British, there are many knife makers from the USA on it, and you might find someone who will make exactly what you want

http://www.britishblades.com  

Edited by zuludog

Also consider a half head knife as it is smaller to handle but has the benefit of the curved blade  I use mine more than my round knife.

I had just ordered Stohlmans book on leathercraft tools and the use, a very good book I had for 1 day.

The round and head knife mention was interesting with regards to handle length as holding in palm with two fingers just onto the blade metal and well behind the edge.

Honestly this was interesting because I ordered a first head knife prior to book delivery and the following knife order was backordered. So now I go in more informed from the site here, the book I have now, and this post.

Thank you all and Good day

Floyd