Tshepiso

Is there an alternative to line 24 snap setter

Hi Guys,

Is there anything I can use as an alternative for setting snaps?

I am planning to buy the all in one snap, rivet and grommet setter soon but in the interim is there anything I can use? Blunt center punch etc...

I do not think it is a complex tool, does anyone have the dimensions for the flaring? Not too worried about the anvil.

Thanks in advance...

il_570xN.640147036_qure.jpg

Some years ago, . . . I bought a tool from Walmart (they don't carry it here now) that has blue handles, a white head, made of metal, and is for line 24 snaps only.  It is too big for the smaller ones.

I have seen that same tool at Hobby Lobby, . . . it is a card item, . . . hanging in their sewing area.  They have two versions, the one that supposedly does all the sizes etc, . . . and the one that does the 24's only.  That is the one I would get.

It has served me well for the 6 or so years I've had it, . . . and I think the price was like $25.00

May God bless,

Dwight

This is the closest I could find. Right department, right price range.
I've been looking at getting these myself. Snaps are not my friends.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sewing/Sewing-Quilting-Notions/Fasteners/5-8-Heavy-Duty-Fastener-Plier-Kit/p/109268-PU0603

It lists #5 and #105, but poking around, it looks like the #105 snaps might be Line 24 snaps. 

Edited by Red Bear Haraldsson

It's not complex, but it is designed to roll the post down to secure the snap.  I've tried a different type a few times.  It was not pretty and the snap did not stay.  Had to dig around for the right one in a mess of punches, tools, and setters.  But I would not try to set them with anything not designed for the job.  

Edited by chiefjason

The Osborne line 24 snap setter is inexpensive, though only made for that one snap size. If you shop around you can find them for about $8.

Joanne Fabric sells line 24 snaps with an inexpensive setter and anvil, but I don't know if you have the equivalent fabric type stores in SA. 

Thank you guys,

I have finally ordered the  11PCS Craft Tool Die Punch Snap Rivet Setter Base Kit For DIY Leather Craft Tool  should be getting the next couple of weeks.

I still think I can make my own tool in the interim,

Not too sure if you guys are familiar with the spinning top?

I decided to use the metal tip on that, so with good filing (trial and error) one should be able to set snaps, if only I can get the dimension I can file it to the exact size.

You can remove the tip easily by pullling and use with your punch handle....:P

$_1.JPG

s-l225.jpg

I also started my leatherwork in South Africa where tools were scarce, 40 years ago.

At the time I set line 24 snaps with a phillips screw driver and a flat nosed punch :

First the phillips screw driver would split the post into four to eight strips that would peel over.  Then I flattened them down tight with the punch.   I never had one come loose at all.

Here is a passport holder I made in circa 1980.   Those snaps were set using the phillips screw driver first and then flattening the curled over bits inside the cavity.

And they have been holding for 36 years now!

20170224_185415.jpg