Sign in to follow this  
Char

How to seal Edge Kote and EcoFlo dye?

Hi guys, 

I've been having some issues with my Fiebing's Edge Kote and Eco-Flo dye leaking if the leather gets damp. What products or techniques do you use to prevent that? Normally the amount of leaking from the Edge Kote isn't terrible, but I worry about it for bag straps. Again, it's only an issue if it gets wet, but still, I'd love to find a solution! I have tried Tan-Kote, Bag-Kote, and the Eco-Flo Satin Shene without much success. I've been doing several coats and letting it have plenty of time to set. The leaking is significantly worse if I treat the leather with saddle soap before or after, which is a pity because I love its effect. I really want a fail safe way to finish edges at the least, and if possible dye my own leather without having to worry about ruining people's clothing!

Thanks! :)

Use spirit/alcohol based ink instead. There is a graffiti brand called molotov that is great, permanent, uv resistant and cheap. You can buy it as pen (black is perfect for the edges), spray (takes some skill to learn how to use well) or refill bottle (perfect for using with a pad or airbrush for large areas). In my opinion it beats any leather color brand any day. Buy the ink, not the acrylic, though. Seal with Fiebings Acrylic Resolene, even on the edges, after burnishing and coloring and waxing/polishing. In my experience, Resolene benefits from being mixed with water 50/50 and applied thinly with a couple of coats and complete curing/drying in between coats.

Edited by ConradPark

Howdy Folks,

I just finished tooling and dying a belt with Eco Flo and have heard some things about it bleeding into the un-dyed portion of the leather when oils or other finish products are applied. I've even seen this happen to professionals unaware. Is there something I can treat the leather with to prevent this bleeding prior to finishing the belt. I have lots of hours in it now and would be very upset if the dye were to bleed into the adjacent un-dyed areas. First time using Eco Flo and I love how it looks so far. Just want to make sure it stays where I put it.

Thank you so much for the advise.

MPEH