Uwe

Oil wick replacement

Several of the machines I've been working on recently had oil wicks missing (e.g. inside the hollow take-up lever pivot shaft).

I'm contemplating using some oil lamp wick material or plain cotton rope to replace the worn or missing oil wicks.

Is that okay or should I use some special sewing oil wick material instead?

Use wool felt cut from flat strips, wetted with oil and rolled to size. Don't use cotton, it will quickly degrade. 

Regards, Eric 

I would think that an oil lamp wick would do that same, they are both intended for an oil, and the oils probably aren't much different from each other cept for the burn ingredients added to the oil for a burn wick.  Just my thought, I don't think the makers try to reinvent the wheel each time something is made, but borrow from what is already there and easy to adapt.  Think like MacGyver.

Thanks guys!

Thin wool felt strips sound like great idea, that didn't even occur to me! I have some wool felt material to experiment with. 

I have a feeling the missing wicks got yanked out by somebody thinking they were just odd pieces of thread lodged in the hole.

Some of the wicks run inside plastic tubes, and for those I think the oil lamp wick will work nicely.

My main concern is to get those take-up levers lubricated properly and a rolled-up thin felt strip sounds perfect for that spot.

Uwe, I was ordering last year some small parts and so picked up a small sheet of wool I believe, but whatever it fits the Juki top arm and in the bottom of that area being the oem item for lube, I use it for cutting smaller pieces for other replacement use on them machines.

They also have the wick running all over the 1508, 41 etc. so probably someone here has rolls of the wick if talking to them.

Good day there

Floyd

smoldering hemp in a small room could leave you with the giggles I have heard.

It would take an awfull lot of hemp.  No or next to no cannabis in hemp.  That's why you see it being cultivated legally again.

Tom

I am far from an expert -- I am a newbie to sewing machines and machine stitching of leather. On the repair of my old Adler 205-374 several sections of tubing and wicking was missing. I bought all the factory tubing and wicking I needed to replace everything for $9.00. For what its worth.

Well . . we just found ourselves in a total pickle regarding this subject and our latest machine, a 205-370 which we think is an early Global clone . . it's maker's plate simply states "Fine Sewing Machine" nor does it give Country of manufacture . . and having now sewn with it we very much agree.  Getting familiar with the machine, creating a snag-list and working out what accessories we might need we notice what appeared to be the remains of PURPLE pipe cleaners left inside the needle end of the sewing head.  Given we might need to speak to the sales agent about these we took pix before removing the mangled pieces.  Then we noticed the same wire twisted pipe cleaner was attached elsewhere to the oil feed tubes . . . poo!  Had we removed something we shouldn't of?

The pix below show what we found and where they were as well as the chopped pieces we removed, there is still some "purple fluff" left inside in places that needs cleaning out.  So we started extensive research . . what on earth did we all do before the Internet?  Pop down the local community library I seem to remember.  Durkopp Adler's parts book is rubbish for this sort of investigation, I've done technical drawing in my past and I can assure the readers that whomever drew that lot of scraggly lines knew exactly where everything went blindfolded and had no intention of passing on those facts! :rolleyes2: Worse was to follow.  We found reference on the web-site of a Scottish manufacturer of industrial pipe cleaners that ( sic ) "Perhaps less well known is their usage as the perfect “wick” to slowly draw and transport liquids and other volatile substances".  Ohh . . double poo!!  But wait . . more was to follow!  @Uwe in your excellent video about "Adjusting the foot lift" at roughly 38 seconds you can clearly see GREEN pipe cleaner inside your machines sewing head. But it got worse . . a photo on Hightex's web-site for 205-370 parts showed one of the rods we found with pipe cleaner hanging off it with ORANGE pipe cleaner neatly wound around the elbow . . . Aagghhh!!! :crazy:

We now have to consider refitting and/or servicing ALL the lubrication system for our 205-370 given that, in all innocence, we might have disabled part of it.  We do claim at least one thing in our favour though M'Lud, not only was what we removed doing nothing but, since being removed, the machine has lost a slight tight spot when being turned over by hand.

So . . despite all the options discussed above . . . pipe cleaner!?!  What sordid little fart thought it a great idea to wrap disposable material around thin wire and then put that in close contact with moving parts!!!

Help?  :(

DSC_5447.JPG

0204 310010 Angle Lever.JPG

TWO photo's showing how and where the pipe cleaners could be seen.

DSC_5438.JPG

DSC_5440.JPG

We don't think the "fluffy pipe cleaner system" is good for a sewing machine either and, maybe showing it's ability to "quote"  . . "transport liquids" is bit too good, before we carried out our "cleaning operation" at the commencement of stitching leather about six or so stitch holes were tarnished with oil . . that is now only the first if the machine has been sat idle for some hours.

More pix attached . . if the system will allow me that is?

DSC_5441.JPG

DSC_5442.JPG

Could have been worse, they could have used home made play dough for grease, and olive oil for oil.

The latter I have seen.

Edited by mikesc

On 9/27/2016 at 4:07 PM, HENDREFORGAN said:

Well . . we just found ourselves in a total pickle regarding this subject and our latest machine, a 205-370 which we think is an early Global clone . . it's maker's plate simply states "Fine Sewing Machine" nor does it give Country of manufacture . . and having now sewn with it we very much agree.  Getting familiar with the machine, creating a snag-list and working out what accessories we might need we notice what appeared to be the remains of PURPLE pipe cleaners left inside the needle end of the sewing head.  Given we might need to speak to the sales agent about these we took pix before removing the mangled pieces.  Then we noticed the same wire twisted pipe cleaner was attached elsewhere to the oil feed tubes . . . poo!  Had we removed something we shouldn't of?

The pix below show what we found and where they were as well as the chopped pieces we removed, there is still some "purple fluff" left inside in places that needs cleaning out.  So we started extensive research . . what on earth did we all do before the Internet?  Pop down the local community library I seem to remember.  Durkopp Adler's parts book is rubbish for this sort of investigation, I've done technical drawing in my past and I can assure the readers that whomever drew that lot of scraggly lines knew exactly where everything went blindfolded and had no intention of passing on those facts! :rolleyes2: Worse was to follow.  We found reference on the web-site of a Scottish manufacturer of industrial pipe cleaners that ( sic ) "Perhaps less well known is their usage as the perfect “wick” to slowly draw and transport liquids and other volatile substances".  Ohh . . double poo!!  But wait . . more was to follow!  @Uwe in your excellent video about "Adjusting the foot lift" at roughly 38 seconds you can clearly see GREEN pipe cleaner inside your machines sewing head. But it got worse . . a photo on Hightex's web-site for 205-370 parts showed one of the rods we found with pipe cleaner hanging off it with ORANGE pipe cleaner neatly wound around the elbow . . . Aagghhh!!! :crazy:

We now have to consider refitting and/or servicing ALL the lubrication system for our 205-370 given that, in all innocence, we might have disabled part of it.  We do claim at least one thing in our favour though M'Lud, not only was what we removed doing nothing but, since being removed, the machine has lost a slight tight spot when being turned over by hand.

So . . despite all the options discussed above . . . pipe cleaner!?!  What sordid little fart thought it a great idea to wrap disposable material around thin wire and then put that in close contact with moving parts!!!

Help?  :(

DSC_5447.JPG

0204 310010 Angle Lever.JPG

These look like ordinary craft style "pipe cleaners" that children in schools use for craft projects. The wicks I purchased from Weaver Leather for my Adler were different in size, density, and composition. Some of the original wicks on my machine are still functioning fine. It looks like the manufacturer of your machine (Chinese?) used an obviously inferior product that was never intended for use in machinery. As I noted in a post above, I replaced most of my tubing and wicks with Adler replacements for about $9.00 USD. That is inexpensive relative to other Adler parts, for what it is worth.

Edited by llucas

I have to go to the dollar store tomorrow. I'm gonna buy some chinese pipe cleaners and some straws and see if i can get oil to wick up a straw.

Then i am going to take up pipe smoking and drinking boat drinks. I always wanted a new hobby.

Edited by TinkerTailor

I'll bite..what are "boat drinks" ?

schooners of sherry ?

Edited by mikesc

Ah :) Fruit in multicoloured alcohol with sunshades for the ice cubes..and an earworm.

Think I'll stick to this 30 year old scotch I have here in front of me..nothing wrong with multicoloured alcohol, but I prefer my fruit separately, unless it is juice..Rhum ( dark ) and juice..Tequila and juice..Vodka and juice..Poitín and juice even, but "single malts" ( with or without the "e" ) no juice.

If it is a hobby you are looking for, drinking pints of Guinness through a straw, with a shot of Paddy's in each glass :)

Stuff the straws, a beer'l do on a hot sunny Sunday and a mate to enjoy it with:rockon:

DSC05226_resize.JPG

From the evidence in the bottles, it would appear that both your camels are pregnant ( the one on the right may be expecting twins ), and two of your crocodiles may be dead or injured, or at least severely pining for the billabongs. Onya :)

Rocky,  :cheers:  (although I must admit I'm partial to a nice single malt - no juice, of course).

I much prefer a smokey single malt as well. I was talking about NEW hobbies.....Old whiskey Is an old hobby.

To return to the original subject . . hic!  :wacko: . . sorry but yesterday evening I was "appreciating" my large collection of awesome English ales . . . has anybody with one of these machines both taken a look inside to see if they are infested with fluffy brightly coloured worms and, more importantly, what does their owners/service manuals say?

Take note that our research above shows that rather a few of the "205-370" manufacturing variants show clear evidence of this "system" being used?  Global, Cowboy, Sieck . . can anyopne add any more?

Given the universal reaction on here from sewing machine users it's fairly evident that this was a change nobody was aware of . . though we will assume the manufacturer had their reasons they rather sneaked it by most.  :(

Uwe, im planing to replace all the wicks and felts off my lu1508, what did you end up using and did it worked right?

Thansk!!!!