Sign in to follow this  
brmax

Granite

Good day there!

Asking what size leather jobs you normally stamp and what you feel is a best size length & width granite for that project.

I thought if I ask in this way first it would be a better? gauge in building a shop bench.  I have seen many photos you all have posted and know most any project you could handle if ask. So its just a start here for me putting a few best ideas that I can workup together for a work area.

Floyd

Ok maybe that wasn't the best way to ask the question, live and learn.

I'm thinking now a 15"deep by 24'' inch width is what I'm going to look into getting for a new bench build.

welcome any ideas

Floyd

Bigger and thicker is better I got mine a scrap at a stone works place didn't cost much it's 3" thick 26 long about a foot wide put it on a good thick surface with good support so it dosent crack

Mine is 15x28 and 4 inches thick. I would not get anything less tan 3 inch thickness because it will crack. The more weight you get the less bounce too. Like Cookie i got mine from a stone works place. I told my wife when i died she could take it back and have my name and the dates scratched in it for my headstone.

CW

I have an old fireplace mantel that 6'6"x 14" and 1 3/8' thick, no issues with cracking.

I have a 12x18 Granite slab 3" thick. Originally, I had some thinner granite, and it all cracked eventually. I bought a surface plate from Amazon, and my tooling has improved since going to a 3" slab. Reduces beveler bounce. If I had the extra money,  I would buy a 18x36 slab at least 3-4" thick.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Scoure craigslist for leveling plates. I picked up a 24x36x4" one for $100, a little bit of a cost but in the long run its great to work on, just sucks to move. 

I got my big one from Grizzly a few years ago. They had/have a freight agreement with FedEx and it was surprisingly cheap to ship. I just picked a smaller one up at WoodCraft last week for a sharpening surface in the tool shop. It is a pretty good bang for the buck I thought.

My surface plate was from Grizzly too, ordered it from amazon prime, so free shipping.