JSLeathercraft

Distressed colors....how do I get this effect?

My son has asked me to make something for him and he wants colors but vintage looking, worn.  I told him to find me an example of the look he wants and he sent me this photo he found.

I have never done colors like this.  Always oil based stains in browns.  Is this look done with stain or acrylics?  And what steps do I take to get the worn look?  

Thanks for the help....I'm stepping of into a new dimension!

il_570xN.783051364_ecit.jpg

I'd stick with acrylics, since I have yet to find a white dye that actually works, and even muted the colors you see are mostly deeper than dyes will usually do.  Blue is also a color that's difficult to get right with dye, although I find that the Tandy Pro dye/stains blue is a bit better than some of the others.  I think I'd work over and "distress" the leather a bit, and tool it, put down a background color (probably something like medium brown) and use acrylics (not too thickly) to color (and use muted colors as much as possible), and then use a Fiebings antique paste (I wouldn't use Tandy's antique gel since it colors too much). Probably without putting on a resisting seal coat first (as one would normally do).    I might even do some more "strategic distressing" to get what I'm looking for before using antique paste.  

All that said, I haven't done anything exactly like what you are looking to do, so you may want to experiment around with techniques and materials on scrap.   Sometimes that's just the best way to figure out how to do stuff!

Bill

Thanks billybopp!  Greatly appreciated!

The bracelet in the photo looks 'funny' as the leather is distressed/"vintage" and the concho and snaps are pristine....

Anyways, first paint the piece using acrylics as billybopp said (dunno about the antique tho) then distress the piece by putting it on the ground and stomping it, running it over with a car, hitting it with a bike chain, sanding it etc etc until you're happy with the look. Then put finish on it, unless you want the piece to further 'develop' during use.

On wood they cover the board with diluted Elmers glue and then paint . I've never tried it though??

Folding the leather back on the grain side helps get that wrinkled look also. Dont recommend it but than again I dont do distressed either. Also look at some of the late chuck burrows old threads. Pretty sure he had a few good ones on distressing leather, or it may be in his books if they are still for sale. He was very good at getting a natural distressed look to his projects.