Windrider30

Problem with a large hide

I got this hide from tandy, thankfully it is not "quality" hide but for the price that I paid I did not expect to see this.(note picture) on the back side of the hide. It is like they did not totally finish the hide and this kind of bits of stringy material are on a large portion of the hide I do not want to just cut that part out and throw it away as the front is ok. But to me it looks like the piece is just not finished properly. So is there anything I can do to get rid of all this stringy bits or do I just have to leave it as is or ruin the front of the leather?

backofhide.jpg

Cheap hide! What is that old saying? You get what you pay for.

Sorry, this often happens with cheap hides no matter where they come from.

Ferg

Cut what you can and then sand it.

Too much flesh left when they skinned it.

I quit buying from Tandy because the quality at my local stores diminished drastically. 

You can sand fuzzy leather, but if it's real fuzzy it may be very impractical. 

Thanks all and I thought that that would be the only option but prefer to get advice from people with more knowelege then I have (which is not hard only been doing this for about a year now lol)  and ugg sanding lots and lots of HAND sanding...some days I honeslty hate my  idea about no machiniery touching the leather once it gets to me...doing things old school can be a pain!!!

Well, While I understand that it can be disappointing to see a backside like that, it's not too uncommon - even with quality hides. Anyway, I'm not here to defend or explain why a hide might look like this, rather I'll try to give some options what you can do. One thing is to cut out smaller pieces and have them being split to a thinner thickness - preferable with a band splitter. If you're unlucky to not have a workshop in your area that can offer you that service, another solution is to line your goods with a thinner leather like pigskin suede or calf. That will also have the benefit of making it look a bit more professional! The third option, which is what I always do on the backside of all split leather, is to use Tan Kote. A very underrated thing - and perfect for this. It gives the surface a 'waxy' look and glues all the fuzz down to a slick surface.

The trick is to apply it correctly. I use a lint free cloth that I make a small 'ball' with. Then I pour some Tan Kote onto the 'ball' and then transfer that to the flesh/back side of the leather. Always apply in straight strokes in ONE and the same direction. As soon as the transfer of Tan Kote dries out, repeat the process. Don't overlap. Let dry at least for a couple of hours. Do another layer. Done.

This have worked for me for more than 20 years and gives a backside looking nice and clean. If you plan to dye the backside, it's preferable to do that first, though. Also - always try out first on some scrap leather. Like with everything, there's no guarantee that you'll succeed the first few times.

Good Luck!

Edited by ConradPark

How about returning it?

way to late to return it silerwingit have had this hide for some time now and thanks for the idea Comrad!

Edited by Windrider30

This will clean that off in a few minutes. New blade, take it easy. As it dulls, go for it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/178142232/safety-beveler-leather-skiver-3001-00

I had not thought of using a safety beveller like that!! will give it a try!

Ive used a skiver to carefully remove that kinda stuff, works fine, 

Another tool that you might consider is a low angle block plane.   Ive used one on similar hide with  pretty good success.

rick

Just a small tip, what ever you do to clean it up, first with out regard to the back, I would lay out the patterns I want to cut and go ahead and cut them.  After having done that, you know exactly what you need to clean off of the back.  That way you aren't cleaning the whole side , just the pieces that need it.  Sometimes, I use a propane torch on the back of some pieces and singe off the offending "friz", and then depending where it is being used, I may also use a razor skiver to "clean" it off. That hide must have come from a "lazy" cow.  :rolleyes2:

Bob

have come from a "lazy" cow

I like that lol or just lazy people who do not like their jobs much and that is another good idea thanks Bob!