Steve GB

PDF Pattern for a Rifle Slip

Hi Guys

Have recently purchase a new BSA Ultra SE air rifle and would very much like to make a rifle slip (Rifle Carrier) in

leather and lined with pig skin. Would anyone have a pattern please. Thanks  Stephen

Hi Steve,

I think this is what you might have in mind.

Creating a pattern is not that difficult - lay the rifle on some stiff material (card board) and trace the out line of the weapon. Add about 150mm to the contour or use the shape as in the picture.

Good luck with your project

Dirk

Rifle-bag-leather.jpg

Hi Dirk

Yes that's just what I would like to achieve, although my skill level is along way off that fine exhibit. I have had

a number of attempts at making templates but seem to mess up by not making adequate allowance for the

pig skin lining which culminates in the slip being to small. Appreciate your reply.  Regards  Stephen

Hi Dirk

Have sent you an email via your private email acc.  Regards  Stephen

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎13 at 7:10 AM, Steve GB said:

Hi Dirk

Yes that's just what I would like to achieve, although my skill level is along way off that fine exhibit. I have had

a number of attempts at making templates but seem to mess up by not making adequate allowance for the

pig skin lining which culminates in the slip being to small. Appreciate your reply.  Regards  Stephen

Steve,

When I'm making a new pattern, to make sure how much to allow for the leather thickness, I will take a strip (or strips) of the leather I plan to use and physically wrap around the object.  I then have a good idea of the final dimension.  If you intend to line it, allow for that as well.

Always add extra to your pattern, for casing shrink, minor fitting problems, etc.  A little wasted leather is better than a lot.

Terry

Hi Terry

Thanks for the tips, hadn't thought of that and I will make allowance for shrinkage on my next project.

Regards

Stephen

Apologies for bumping an oldish thread.. did anyone find a rifle slip pattern?

Just been bought a very nice rifle (gift from swmbo) and I'd love to make my own slip for it..

Did you not want to follow the advice from above?  If not, Tandy sells full on pattern. I find that it's much easier to make you own, as you aren't having to modify a "one-size-fits-none" pattern.

I'd love to have followed the advice above yet my pattern making skills are what could be described as shite so, if there is a practical alternative, I'd prefer that.. 

Hi,

I have found this in my archives - it might help to achieve a pattern of your own choice.

Rifle slip.pdf

Pattern formula rifle slip.pdf

Edited by dirkba
added image

Hi @dirkba

I know i'm a few years late haha! But I wonder if you could resend that rifle bag pattern PDF? The link doesn't work anymore. I'd really appreciate it!!

Thanks so much in advance.

On 6/20/2023 at 11:52 AM, gab5 said:

Hi @dirkba

I know i'm a few years late haha! But I wonder if you could resend that rifle bag pattern PDF? The link doesn't work anymore. I'd really appreciate it!!

Thanks so much in advance.

Just tried it and worked fine.