RustyMelton

new pool cue case

I've been really busy at work and not posting much but had a little time and thought I'd show what I've been working on. It's not completed yet but thought I'd show a few pics anyway. I'll post more when I get it finished.100_0885.jpg100_0888.jpg100_0890.jpg100_0887.jpg

Very nice! I really like your carving and overall design & balance. I was thinking that your general design would be good for a fly fishing rod case! Thanks for the idea & for sharing, Alan

Very nice! I really like your carving and overall design & balance. I was thinking that your general design would be good for a fly fishing rod case! Thanks for the idea & for sharing, Alan

Thank you, it still has a few things left to do but it turned out pretty good. I think I saw a really cool fly rod case somewhere on here, it may have been on TomSwedes web site, he had some very cool ideas. This web site is so good for getting ideas, everytime I log on I see about 100 things I want to make. Rusty

Hi Rusty,

nice case you did. I really like it. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Marcel

How did you figure the shape for the top? I just made a quiver (should probably post pics, huh) and getting the shape of the bottom right was a PITA. (Didn't help that I couldn't get my arm in to trace the inside.)

Thanks Marcel, they are slowly getting a little better, seems the advice and things I read here are maybe beginning to pay off. Tasha I took the leather and held it in place around the tubes with plastic wrap, stood it up and traced around the outside onto a piece of paper. Then cut the leather a little large and began cutting the size down with a small sanding wheel on a dremel. I first tried cutting it to the exact size at first but once I sewed it in it was to small. Like you said its a big pain. Keep trying you'll get it.

How did you figure the shape for the top? I just made a quiver (should probably post pics, huh) and getting the shape of the bottom right was a PITA. (Didn't help that I couldn't get my arm in to trace the inside.)

Sorry to get off track but tashabear could you please post pictures of your quiver i am trying to get ideas to make myself a quiver.

gussets are a bitch for me to figure out and execute cleanly - I am wrestling with some myself at the moment - lots of trial and error and seemingly no easy way to nail it consistently

Thanks Marcel, they are slowly getting a little better, seems the advice and things I read here are maybe beginning to pay off. Tasha I took the leather and held it in place around the tubes with plastic wrap, stood it up and traced around the outside onto a piece of paper. Then cut the leather a little large and began cutting the size down with a small sanding wheel on a dremel. I first tried cutting it to the exact size at first but once I sewed it in it was to small. Like you said its a big pain. Keep trying you'll get it.

Great Work as always Rusty!

Now put it on AZ!

Thank you, it still has a few things left to do but it turned out pretty good. I think I saw a really cool fly rod case somewhere on here, it may have been on TomSwedes web site, he had some very cool ideas. This web site is so good for getting ideas, everytime I log on I see about 100 things I want to make. Rusty

:cheers:

Thank you very much Rusty!!!

The design does look familiar to me;-)

Very cool case and as usual some very elegant carving.

Tom

Great Work as always Rusty!

Now put it on AZ!

Thank you John, it means alot coming from you. I took your advice and used a different lid on this one, I like it better, it's a bit more protective. Rusty

:cheers:

Thank you very much Rusty!!!

The design does look familiar to me;-)

Very cool case and as usual some very elegant carving.

Tom

Thanks Tom it turned out pretty decent. I love your stuff, I guess it shows. Rusty

A couple more pics of it finished.100_0938.jpg100_0932.jpg

Two more.

That's beautiful. I have not been a real big fan of the teardrop shape for cases but you pull it off perfectly. I know the cap was more of a pain but it does complete the case so much better imo. I especially like the way the interior tubing looks. It seems to be padded and cushy which appeals to my sense of protectiveness. You know I am stickler for cues not rattling.

You knife sheath makers will appreciate this, cues can cost upwards of six figures with an awful lot of them being in the four figure range. Do it's really important - to me at least - to make sure that they fit snugly in the case. Very nice job on the interior Rusty and you know I don't say that lightly.

Well, if you get a website or let me know your contact info I will add you to my list of recommended case makers on my website. I know that this is part time stuff for you but I'd sure like it if more people were aware of your work.

John

That's beautiful. I have not been a real big fan of the teardrop shape for cases but you pull it off perfectly. I know the cap was more of a pain but it does complete the case so much better imo. I especially like the way the interior tubing looks. It seems to be padded and cushy which appeals to my sense of protectiveness. You know I am stickler for cues not rattling.

You knife sheath makers will appreciate this, cues can cost upwards of six figures with an awful lot of them being in the four figure range. Do it's really important - to me at least - to make sure that they fit snugly in the case. Very nice job on the interior Rusty and you know I don't say that lightly.

Well, if you get a website or let me know your contact info I will add you to my list of recommended case makers on my website. I know that this is part time stuff for you but I'd sure like it if more people were aware of your work.

John

Thanks again John. I agree the lid is a big improvment in both looks and protection. It seemed like alot more work at first but has proved to be easier than I first thought after a couple of cases. Plus I think it's worth it simply because of the overall look of the case. The padded tubes are another improvement, its stops the movement of the cues in the tubes and is really soft, that type interior is one of the reasons I love my old Instroke case. I don't have website yet but have been thinking about it because somewhere down the road I would like to be able to devote alot more time to making cases, I just can't get enough of it. Thanks again, this website rocks! Rusty

I agree, that is a really beautiful case, and as John says you have handled the 'Teardrop' shape very well. I have to use a similar technique for the 'Blocked-Ends' of my leather gunslips, however, I have to use a special corner stitching machine, as my hand stitching is not too good, unlike yours which is excellent!

This is the result I get with the machine:

bn6230___deluxe_emperor___in_dark_havana_end_detail.jpg

Not a patch on your work I'm afraid.

Steve

post-7482-1232319959_thumb.jpg

I agree, that is a really beautiful case, and as John says you have handled the 'Teardrop' shape very well. I have to use a similar technique for the 'Blocked-Ends' of my leather gunslips, however, I have to use a special corner stitching machine, as my hand stitching is not too good, unlike yours which is excellent!

This is the result I get with the machine:

bn6230___deluxe_emperor___in_dark_havana_end_detail.jpg

Not a patch on your work I'm afraid.

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the kind words. Your gun case looks great, what kind of machine do you use to sew that? I'm trying to save up to get a sewing machine, my hands get sore. :) Rusty

Hi Steve, thanks for the kind words. Your gun case looks great, what kind of machine do you use to sew that? I'm trying to save up to get a sewing machine, my hands get sore. :) Rusty

Hi Rusty,

The type of machines I use are the Singer 45Ksv100 (see pic) they are pretty rare these days, as few people are able to use them, it took me 3 months to get used to stitching with one! But they are worth the effort in the end. They can be used to stitch all kinds of cases, binoculars, cameras etc.

Steve

singer45ksv100.jpg Singer_45ksv100closeup.jpg

post-7482-1232403489_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1232403629_thumb.jpg

Hi Rusty,

The type of machines I use are the Singer 45Ksv100 (see pic) they are pretty rare these days, as few people are able to use them, it took me 3 months to get used to stitching with one! But they are worth the effort in the end. They can be used to stitch all kinds of cases, binoculars, cameras etc.

Steve

singer45ksv100.jpg Singer_45ksv100closeup.jpg

Wow, really cool. It really makes the ends looks nice. Sounds like I better get used to doing it by hand. :) Rusty

hi rusty!

your case is looking good. and have great tooling. i also make cases for pool cues but they are the envelope style. i ahve sold several of them here in asia and there in the states.

funny coz you have that chan geer tooling pattern. i have used that too adn that design works really well over shapes that are very similar to a cue case. your case reminds me of the chas clements cases who is also my inspirtation when i started making pool cue cases.

i admire your effort in the tooling of the case front and back. thats how it should be done. your case if you sell it can go from $500 up with taht amount of work. goodluck and more power to your cue case making. someday your cases will become collectibles. good job! and thanks for sharing!

hi rusty!

your case is looking good. and have great tooling. i also make cases for pool cues but they are the envelope style. i ahve sold several of them here in asia and there in the states.

funny coz you have that chan geer tooling pattern. i have used that too adn that design works really well over shapes that are very similar to a cue case. your case reminds me of the chas clements cases who is also my inspirtation when i started making pool cue cases.

i admire your effort in the tooling of the case front and back. thats how it should be done. your case if you sell it can go from $500 up with taht amount of work. goodluck and more power to your cue case making. someday your cases will become collectibles. good job! and thanks for sharing!

[/quo

Hi sheridanman, Thanks alot for the comments. I love those Chan Geer patterns, they do work well, but I'd love to learn to draw my own. I think Chas Clements is every case makers hero, I still go to his site and stare at the cases. Please post some of your work I'd love to see it. Thanks again Rusty