zckry

Advice On Cobra Class 4 and Getting Another Machine For Lighter Stuff

46 minutes ago, Art said:

Yes 207 is ok, at least it is for me.  I use 207 top and 138 bobbin but it shouldn't matter.  Cobra says 207 os ok.

Art

Art have you ever successfully used 207 on the bobbin as well?

No, I haven't used 207 in the bobbin, but it shouldn't make a lot of difference other than tensions.  If you are worried, have one of the dealers set one up in his shop and sew off a couple of yards of the kind of leather you do the most and send it to you.  You should buy the machine set-up to sew the leather and thread you use.

Art

On April 20, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Art said:

No, I haven't used 207 in the bobbin, but it shouldn't make a lot of difference other than tensions.  If you are worried, have one of the dealers set one up in his shop and sew off a couple of yards of the kind of leather you do the most and send it to you.  You should buy the machine set-up to sew the leather and thread you use.

Art

Good point, I'll request that from them!

This was the same dilemma I had when I started making wallets. I bought a Cowboy CB4500 not too long ago (the same machine as your Cobra 4) to use for my dog collars, holsters and laminated belts and found myself frustrated with really thin materials. I had a few orders of thin wallets and so I was forced to look around craigslist and my local shops in the bay area. Found out that Artisan is in SF and so I went by and visited. Came out with a Artisan 335B BT the T is for transportable since it doesn't come with a U table or a pedestal stand. It has a small platform which has the head, and the motor and weighs around 86lbs. Maximum thread size for the top is 207 and 138 for the bottom. I think it can go down to a 18 needle, but I've only used a 22 needle 138 top and bottom and pretty happy with the results. It also has a binder mechanism, I think it's a clone of the Pfaff 335....

I do apologize for the messy work area, that's basically my garage/storage/workshop....

IMAG0387.jpg