PJCustomLeather

Stitching and carved belt pattern questions

Most of the patterns that are in books like the Al Stohlman Belts Galore book and patterns from Tandy don't have hardly any left over room on edges to put a stitching border. It leaves about 1/8 of an inch(if lucky) on each edge of a 1.5 inch wide belt, which is not enough room for any kind of running stitch line. What do I need to do to get that thick stitching border with my pattern on my belts.

DSC_3153.jpg

F50950241.jpg

13 hours ago, PJCustomLeather said:

What do I need to do to get that thick stitching border with my pattern on my belts.

Make the belt 1.75 inches.

A wider belt can create several problems, like difficulty to find fitting hardware, or even to get the belt through the loops on some trousers. Instead, use a photo copier to reduce the size of the pattern 25-30%. While this affects the length as well, it still shouldn't be too much of a problem to either leave it or to 'fill' it out a few inches.

Edited by ConradPark

Could you use a pattern for a 1 1/4" belt?

Chris

Use a copier or scanner to minify the pattern to the desired width to get whatever border you like. The smaller pattern will be more difficult to tool but it will allow your wider border.

Michelle

The really easy solution is to mark your borders with a dividers first then copy the pattern onto the belt, stopping your tracing at the edges.  You lose a bit of the pattern, but most of the time, you cut off a little anyway.