lonesome dove

New Stamp Block - In progress

I'm working on a new stamp holder and thought I'd share a few photos of it in progress. Solid oak, 13" tall, with a 30 degree back tilt. Stamp holes were drilled 2-1/2 inches deep, and swivel knife holes were drilled 1-3/4 inches deep.  It will hold around 150 stamps when completed, 5 swivel knives, and 10 swivel knife blades. I still have finish sanding, sealer, oil stain, and polyurethane yet to go. I'll update with a photo of the completed piece. I have a pdf of the drill pattern if anyone would like a copy.

3 half drilled.jpg

4 drill complete.jpg

5 side profile.jpg

1 stock glued.jpg

2 drill marked.jpg

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing it finished with tools in it! I like the vertical design! Height and depth??

Thanks eglideride.

The block face is actually 16" tall x 6-1/2 wide x 3-1/14" deep. With the back tilt, height from the desktop is 14 ". The footprint is 10" deep x 6-1/2" wide. The height was determined by what I could look at comfortably and to allow it to slide under a shelf on the top of my work desk. I live in an apartment and my work area is in a small bedroom with very limited space.

Nice looking rack.  I like the upright orientation of it too.

These are photos of the finished stamp rack. I used red chestnut oil stain with 3 coats of polyurethane. Not too bad I think for what started out as a truck wheel chock.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Sweet, very nice!- Thanks for sharing!

The skyscraper of tool racks! Great idea going vertical. Tabletop real estate is very hard to come by, and easy to use up. I believe there is one of those in my future.