I made a helmet shield for one of our firefighters. His captain saw it and asked if I would make one for him. The shield I made had a black body that I used EcoFlo black dye on. According to their policy, a captain's shield must have a white body with black numbers. Does anyone have any tips on turning veg tan leather white? I ordered some acrylic white dye from Fiebings. I haven't received it yet so I'm not sure how well it will work. My hope is to get a good uniform color over the main body of the shield that won't flake off. 

Go to the craft store and buy the best quality white acrylic paint (like for painting pictures) they have.

I agree with Electron.  The white dye is not going to work.  And it stinks pretty bad.

I use the high end heavy pigmented paint for white.  I dilute a bit with water and put on the first coat.  Let dry totally and then use light coats of the full strength pain - assuming it's not too thick.  Sort of like pudding maybe.  maybe a bit thicker.  you need to to flow a little as it drys to erase any brush marks.

White dye is less than useless.   Go with white acrylic paint.

Bill

I just sent for Angelus White Acrylic paint and some thiner. I will post the results. I am going to use an air brush. I tried their beige acrylic paint on some scrap with a damp sponge. It needed two coats, it came out nice.

Jim

I have white leather resin and clear polyurethane top coat available since we finish leather in our business, it you want to make a 'professional job'

Both the white base and clear top are sprayed onto veg.

Flag carrier.jpg

So, where do you get the stuff to do it and are there any issues with doing it by hand?

It's a custom blend from a local chemical company.  They don't sell retail, or small quantities.

I can sell a quart of it but shipping Fedex Ground will make it very expensive. The white resin is $20.00 and Shipping would be $40.00

I used the Angelus white acrylic paint with an air brush. It took 2 coats, it came out good. I don't have a picture of the white one, this is the beige one . It is the same paint from Agelius.

beige belt.jpg