Kristy

Suitable core for Riding Crop

Hi Everyone,

I have recently started to learn how to make braided riding crops. The tutorials that I followed suggest hollow fiberglass cores,

however the ones that I ordered I found were not "whippy" enough, if that makes sense. Before I even started I could tell there

was barely any bend, the end result ended up being more like a hard, inflexible rod.

The hollow fiberglass rods I ordered were 8mm outer diameter, 4mm inner diameter.

Would someone please be able to suggest a core that would be suitable for this purpose that will have the appopriate

amount of bend and flex?

Thank you so much for your help with this.

Cheers,

Kristy

Thank you for your help! :)

I did find these ones, but the cost works out at:

$7/rod

+ $9 handling fee

+ $46.90 shipping to Australia

making it much too expensive, and I haven't been able to find anything similar at all locally.

Was more after the information if fiberglass was the type of core I should be looking at and if so what diameter thickness is appropriate.

I know NOTHING about those items other than they're used with horses.  If it were me, I would spend the money and get the right stuff.  Your typical dune buggy or bicycle flag rods aren't going to work well.  The ones above are hollow and tapered which will make them more whippy at the end, stiffer near the handle.

Mike, some riders believe they are needed to assist them in riding their horses as an aid. Jumpers use short ones of about 50 cm length and dressage riders of up to 1,10 to 1,30 m. Most of them are made from flexible fiberglass about the same quality of the older fiberglass arrows. In the older days the core was made from certain woods such as willow, hazelnut etc.

Depending on the type of crop I'd expect that a carbonfiber core works just as well. Other than that... what materials are the fishing rods made from?

You may want to try buying inexpensive stock whips or dressage whips and stripping them for the core?

Thank you all for your answers - Thor, husband makes fishing rods on occasion and they have been carbon fibre, I think you may be on the right track, thank you. 

I've been asked to make them, and from what I now understand, Mike, these will not be used anywhere near a horse... 

Hence the person requesting it be more "whippy". :rolleyes:

Funnily enough, I would be more disturbed if I thought it was being used on a horse.

Thank you, Sonnydaze, I think this is the way I might go for now, if they are happy with them I will investigate looking into other options. 

Thank you all again! :)

For a riding crop, to be used with horses, I like something stiff, and the fiberglass works well.  I use them primarily on horses that like to bite.  When you are tightening up a saddle, sometimes the crafty buggers will try to bite you and a good still crop just stops them.  You don't swing it at them, you just kind of poke them when they turn their head toward you, and you'll learn to do it right quick the first time one nips you.

Now, for fetish apps, you can get get a couple of pieces out of a buggy whip, and they are pretty cheap from suppliers like Weaver and Bieler's.  Don't know if you have a buggy crowd down your way, but that is where I would try first.  Also they make different sizes of disciplinary canes that would work, and they are rather inexpensive (they can be outrageous too depending on where you buy).

This topic is headed to the NSFW forum if it gets much more detailed.

Art

Thank you, Art - I wasn't aware that there was a NSFW forum on here, will head over there if I have any more questions - thank you.

I can't imagine ever being close enough to a horse to swing anything at it, but will keep your tips in mind should that happen. :)

I do have a duck that misbehaves, but she has me well trained. ;)

Edited by Kristy

A crop is generally used to "poke" rather than "swing".  Crops generally have a very stiff shaft as opposed to a quirt which is generally used with a little velocity.

Art

Cut a willow switch.  You can adjust the whippiness by trimming the skinny end.  Take more off, becomes a much stiffer switch.  Cheap, easy to replace!

Tom

A crop has a much different action than a "buggy whip"  I sell a lot of Westfield whips, and have been to the factory many times. Westfield is the oldest whip manufacturer in the world, and makes a superior products. Their cores are predominantly fiberglass, depending on the application. Traditionally they were made of whale bone (baleen) they would put rattan on the outside and wrap the core with linen and laqour them. A crop, or the shorter bat typically has less action and at one point they would have been made of holly wood, ewe wood, or bamboo even.during the industrial revolution souther  plantation owners would also have what they referred to As a "walk trot stick"  used with saddlebreds. It is fashionable for carriage whips with a drop lash to be made of these traditional woods as well. With the carriage whips finished, unwrapped with a plaited thong that has a baleen tip  with a split goose quill and "whip stitched" top is what you normally see. The lash will go anywheres from 1/3- 1 1/2 of the way down the shaft, depending on the turn out. The lash must reach the shoulder of the furthest horse.  The materials change with the times. Goad sticks and whips  for oxen can be made from white ash, as this is a popular hobby still in New England I still see kids running around the local fairs whipping on each other. Be resourceful for that right feel, a lot has to do with personal preference. Carriage whips are all about balance, from carbon fiber to holly whips, balance is paramount.  with a crop, it's more used to encourage, maybe a little spank, but the rider has the option to use seat, and legs to cue the horse.

Thank you for the advice Art and Tom!

And thank you very much for the history and information, awharness! Not only interesting, but very helpful.

And am very impressed with this forum overall - probably the friendliest and most helpful site I have visited, thank you.

I look forward to learning enough that I may be able to help someone else out one day. :)

Nylon rods are typically far more flexible and "whippy" than fiberglass.  Try looking at chimney cleaning rods for a non-traditional source.

Given a hundred years I would never have thought of chimney cleaning rods - that is excellent, thank you Electrathon!

Have you looked at the fiberglass tent poles? You get 4 in a pack for about $12.00au. Rays camping and heaps of others online local.

Best of luck Brian F

Thanks, Brian - that is a brilliant idea!

I'll check them out!