bennadatto

Swivel Stud for Swivel Holster

hey all!

I'm looking to find a source for what I think would be called a swivel stud.  It would be used in a swivel holster similar to the attached image.  It's the larger nickel "thingy" between the snap up top and the rivet below.  Any help locating a source for this would be much appreciated.

Thanks all!

US Swivel Holster.jpg

I am looking for the same thing. I was going to try a chicago screw, I am worried that the screw will come out.

Jim

That little dent in the cap right where the post would be tells me It may just be a big double cap rivet. Perhaps the maker put a piece of cardboard or something between the leather layers while setting it, then removed it after to give the needed clearance.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McLaughlin said:

I am looking for the same thing. I was going to try a chicago screw, I am worried that the screw will come out.

The screw heads on chicago screws frequently have ridges on the backside of the head to dig in to the leather and help prevent them from turning after install in situations where there is not supposed to be movement of the joint. You are right to be worried because it is totally possible it could unscrew while swinging around if those ridges bind up with the moving leather.

That being said, If you use a washer on the screw side to prevent the screw ridges from rubbing the leather, and give them a slippery surface to spin on, It should prevent this. Also, select a socket height side thicker than the leather so the leather is free to spin on the barrel of the socket and stays away from the screw. Most importantly, using permanent strength(red) loctite, run the screw all the way in so it jams into the socket hard and the leather is still free to move. If the screw does not bottom out leaving the leather free to move, the barrel is too short and the leather will put pressure on the screw. Small tubes of thread locker are available for a couple bux at auto parts stores.

Instead of testing on a gun, make a sample swivel, and attach it to a brick or something and hang it from the bumper of your car. Drive around for a week and see if the brick is still there.........Just let me know where you are at so i can avoid driving behind you.........

Thank you Tinker LOL I was going to try the tread lock. My other problem is, I am mounting a pin pointer to a digging knife holster. The pin Pinpointed and knife case 4.jpgpointer is used Pinpointed and knife case 4.jpgin metal detecting and is very top heavy. The last one I made was spinning upside down. If the Chicago screw has to much spin the same thing will happen.

On 1/9/2020 at 9:49 AM, PositiveMadeLeatherCraft said:

I've got this hardware,  now im trying to figure out how to install it., any tips?  Thanks

Where did you find this hardware if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to make my own swivel holster but cannot find the correct hardware :)

On 1/8/2020 at 3:49 PM, PositiveMadeLeatherCraft said:

I've got this hardware,  now im trying to figure out how to install it., any tips?  Thanks

Really late to the conversation, but for others that may be interested, to set the Swivel Holster Hardware:
Cut the post to length with a pair of end cutters, put washer over post, use chisel to make + in tip of post, splay post over washer with a hammer