Sign in to follow this  
wolvenstien

Split pig skin

My wife asked me to make her a checkbook cover for Christmas, but she didnt want it to be made out of thick leather and all the vegtan leather I have is 5oz or thicker so i took her to Tandy to check out other leathers that they had on sale. She picked out a 12sf piece of pig split that was selling for $1.50 a sf.

I didnt know if you could carve it or not, so i took a piece and played with it... looks like you can... Cool. I like the feel of it, and I can decorate it...

Anyway... below is a pic of the CBC after carving....

Susans_Checkbook_cover_002.jpg

The question I have is... does pigsplit take spirtit dyes well? And if so... what finished does it take well? Can I treat the leather as if it were vegtan?

Thanks

post-834-1229887716_thumb.jpg

My wife asked me to make her a checkbook cover for Christmas, but she didnt want it to be made out of thick leather and all the vegtan leather I have is 5oz or thicker so i took her to Tandy to check out other leathers that they had on sale. She picked out a 12sf piece of pig split that was selling for $1.50 a sf.

I didnt know if you could carve it or not, so i took a piece and played with it... looks like you can... Cool. I like the feel of it, and I can decorate it...

Anyway... below is a pic of the CBC after carving....

Susans_Checkbook_cover_002.jpg

The question I have is... does pigsplit take spirtit dyes well? And if so... what finished does it take well? Can I treat the leather as if it were vegtan?

Thanks

Hi Wolfie,

I know Angelus has a line of spirit dyes specially made for suede, maybe there is other brands too?

Is this considered as a Suede? It is very smooth on both sides.....

It depends on whether you got lining pig, or glazed split. Lining Pig is the top grain half, and Glazed split is basically a 'split' that's been burnished smooth/glossy on one side

Another thing you may consider, I dont know if you saw them at tandy but they have the tooling sides of 3/4oz for $50 right now. They are more on the 3oz side, not the best stuff but they have enough clean areas to get some checkbooks and such out of.

Another thing is the tooling calf. I got some of that and it comes in about a 2oz thickness and it tools pretty good just gotta be careful.

It depends on whether you got lining pig, or glazed split. Lining Pig is the top grain half, and Glazed split is basically a 'split' that's been burnished smooth/glossy on one side

Not sure, not glossy... I have gotten some in black that was real thin, and it was glossy, but this isnt, just smooth on both sides.

Another thing you may consider, I dont know if you saw them at tandy but they have the tooling sides of 3/4oz for $50 right now. They are more on the 3oz side, not the best stuff but they have enough clean areas to get some checkbooks and such out of.

Another thing is the tooling calf. I got some of that and it comes in about a 2oz thickness and it tools pretty good just gotta be careful.

Why pay $50 for something that I will only use once or twice for small stuff when the wife liked the pig and it was only about $15.00? LOL.... She saved me allot of money...

Not sure, not glossy... I have gotten some in black that was real thin, and it was glossy, but this isnt, just smooth on both sides.

Why pay $50 for something that I will only use once or twice for small stuff when the wife liked the pig and it was only about $15.00? LOL.... She saved me allot of money...

True true

LOL, I love it when the wife saves me money!